Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Christmas is here or I'm just getting old

1. Nov 10, 2008 #1
    So today it happened. I bought my first christmas calendar for this year. I went to the ATM and little scouts had it surrounded. It was like clockwork and done almost with military precision. Even my army training didn't help me see it coming. When I had withdrawn an abundant quantity of cash there was simply no way of that situation without buying the calendar. Well I guess it was for a good purpose.

I haven't been really into christmas since someone tried to tell me a lie that Santa didn't really exist. Hah. However, since I still keep getting these calendars I was wondering what to do with them?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2008 #2
    It's Xmas now.. at least in the US anyway.. :rolleyes: Btw, what's a Christmas calendar?? :confused:

4. Nov 10, 2008 #3
    It is like a wallpaper which has doors for every day of December until the 24th day. You are supposed to open one door at the right day to see what appears from the calendar. Then the tension mounts of what awaits behind the 24th door. There are also chocolate calendars where there is chocolate piece behind every door. For some mysterious reason those calendars typically had all the doors opened way before the 24th day.

5. Nov 10, 2008 #4

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh, those are sometimes called Advent Calendars.

Clever of those scouts to hang out near an ATM!

6. Nov 10, 2008 #5
    Save your 2008 calendar and reuse it in 2036. Now that's thrifty!

7. Nov 10, 2008 #6
    Advent Calendars! I recognize that! No wonder misgfool's description sounded so familiar...

8. Nov 10, 2008 #7

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You mean there are advent calendars that don't have chocolate behind the doors? :surprised

9. Nov 10, 2008 #8
    Yes, these must be some fitness calendars.

10. Nov 12, 2008 #9
    There are some advent calendars with a prune behind each door.

11. Nov 12, 2008 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Really! No telling them you don't have the money to buy their calendars!

:grumpy: How dare they! What's the point if there's no chocolate?

I was actually starting to feel in the mood for Christmas this week, but that's mostly because the temperature dropped to late December temperatures earlier in the week and we actually saw a few snow flurries. Plus, all the classes I teach end the first week of December. I'm used to classes ending closer to Christmas, so them nearly being over makes me feel like it should be Christmas time already. I guess I need to get through Thanksgiving first, but I'm sure the stores are already decorated for Christmas too, so it's tough. I love decorating for Christmas, so can never wait for Thanksgiving to start breaking out the ornaments.

12. Nov 12, 2008 #11

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Breaking ornaments. :cry: The JAWS OF DEATH broke every ornament I had collected my entire life!!

A lifetime of meaning, of caring, of memories, all gone.

13. Nov 12, 2008 #12

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's so sad! Orniments are like little memories!

...um, who/what is JAWS OF DEATH...?

14. Nov 13, 2008 #13
    This can also be a new beginning. A fresh start.

15. Nov 13, 2008 #14

Evo

Staff: Mentor

The Jaws of Death was an insane, inbred Yellow Lab that the Evo Child just HAD TO HAVE. I was out of town on business for a couple of weeks and came home to find that a neighbor had given her this psycho dog. Who gives a small child a dog without the parent's approval?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?