CU Boulder vs University of Maryland for quantum information PhD

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
4 replies · 3K views
Chrischievous
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Hi everyone,

Hoping someone can give me insight on this. I am visiting two schools next week - CU Boulder and University of Maryland, both of which I have been accepted to for quantum information experiment (PhD.)

Both are very highly ranked and seem to have great departments, and I'm incredibly happy that I have this choice to make, but I'm hoping someone in the field (or a related field) could talk to me about how they're perceived or if there is some sentiment about which is "better" (for lack of a better term?) I haven't been able to find any placement data for their PhD graduates (I'm hoping to go into academia.) I know that the final indicator will be how much I enjoy my visit/what professors I like most, but I'd like as much data as possible.

For the record, I'm not sure what implementation (re: qubits) I'd prefer... but most of the ones I am interested in (ion traps, quantum dots, superconducting circuits) fall under AMO or CM.

I've looked at their rankings on US News and the relevant ones are the following:
Overall:
Maryland 14
Boulder 18

AMO:
Maryland 6
Boulder 1

CM:
Maryland 10
Boulder ??

"Quantum:"
Boulder 8
Maryland 8 (tie)

Overall, I feel like there's no way to go wrong. Like I said, just looking for any information anyone can provide. For the record, my family is in Maryland... but Boulder seems like a gorgeous place to live.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi! I am in a similar situation. I have a chemical physics Ph.D. offer from UMD and a Physics Ph.D. offer from CU Boulder. My current interests broadly lie in experimental quantum optics and AMO physics. What according to you should be a better choice (now in 2024) and what parameters should I consider?
 
Someyuck said:
Hi! I am in a similar situation. I have a chemical physics Ph.D. offer from UMD and a Physics Ph.D. offer from CU Boulder. My current interests broadly lie in experimental quantum optics and AMO physics. What according to you should be a better choice (now in 2024) and what parameters should I consider?
Well, you need to check the programs carefully. At Boulder you were accepted into the mainstream Physics PhD program. Boulder does give you the option to specialize in Chemical Physics, should you choose, or in some other branch of physics.

At Maryland, you were accepted into a specialized interdisciplinary Chemical Physics PhD program, not their mainstream Physics PhD program. So, how certain are you that you want to pursue research in Chemical Physics? The obvious issue is, if you should change your mind, is there a ready path for you to transfer to the mainstream Physics PhD program at Maryland, or would you have to apply as a brand-new applicant? That's something you should settle pronto. Just to clarify: Did you also apply to the mainstream Physics PhD program at Maryland, and were you turned down? If not, why did you apply to their Chemical Physics PhD program and not their mainstream Physics PhD program?
 
Hopefully the OP has finished his degree by now. As for @Someyuck , he hasn't been back since he posted, which is unfortunate since he needs to make up his mind by Monday.
 
Vanadium 50 said:
Hopefully the OP has finished his degree by now. As for @Someyuck , he hasn't been back since he posted, which is unfortunate since he needs to make up his mind by Monday.
It may be confusing to give advise to two people in the same post.