1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Studying Degree for studying Dark Matter and Dark Energy

1. Oct 22, 2011 #1
    Accidently Posted this in the career guidance section earlier. Thought I should put it where its supposed to go.

I am currently a physics major in my sophomore year of college. I have found that my interest really lies in Space, specifically Dark Matter and Dark Energy. Talking to a couple people I am starting to get the idea that a degree in Astrophysics would be better suited for that. So the question is, knowing the field I would like to end up in would Physics or Astrophysics be the right degree?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2011 #2

Well the thing is, you don't know you are going to end up in that field. I don't know much about an astrophysics degree for undergraduates though. As long as the degree didn't cut out any upper level physics classes it sounds like it cant be a bad idea. I think it would be most important to get a good solid grounding in CM, E&M, QM, and Stat mech with research experience in astrophysics. This will put you in a good position to go to graduate school to study and research it further.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook