Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Desperate about Nyquist Diagrams

1. Jan 7, 2013 #1
    Hi everyone! I searched all over the web and nobody/nothing gives a good explanation on how to plot nyquist diagrams... can somebody help with these ? I can't go forward in my study of control engineering without knowing these and i'm stucked...

How are nyquist diagrams plotted starting from a transfer function or from bode diagrams?

Can somebody explain in a detailed way or link me a site where it's explained step by step ?

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2013 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

4. Jan 7, 2013 #3
    Already viewed, but it doesn't help...

5. Jan 7, 2013 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How about this link:

http://mmae.iit.edu/~mpeet/Classes/MMAE443/443Lecture23.pdf [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  6. Jan 7, 2013 #5
    A nyquist plot is simply plotting the whole function G(jω).

You have G(s) => G(jω), and then for each ω, you plot the resulting complex number in the complex plain. Normally this is done by using a polar plot, where instead of x and y (or Re and Im in the complex plain), we use r (the distance from origin to the point) and θ (the angle of the line from origin to that point, measured from the real axis of course, and counter-clockwise).

Now for a complex number, the r is simply the magnitude of the number, and θ is the phase.

So for the function G(jω), you simply plot each result as an r and θ. That is, you look at mag(G) and angle(G), and the you plot that.

7. Jan 8, 2013 #6
    I already viewed even that link but cannot understand... ok i understand that i'm plotting G(jω) but what is the domain ? how much i havef to draw ? how can i know from which module to which module e from which fase to which fase ? Isn't there some place where this is well explained ?

8. Jan 27, 2013 #7

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook