Did waving originate as a universal gesture and do animals wave too?

  • Thread starter Thread starter kyle_soule
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 8K views
kyle_soule
Messages
238
Reaction score
1
I recently stumbled upon the question of the origins of waving. I was wondering if anyone could help me find where waving originated, and if it is a "universal sign", and if any other species demonstrate "waving" in the same form or a slight variation from what we do.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm pretty sure waving originated as a hand held out to show that the hand held no weapon. A gesture of good will if you will. I'm not sure where or when it originated but i know the american indians did it as such.
 
I tend to agree with vedder. Much like the origin of shaking hands, it seems that waving is just a sign of peace (that one isn't carrying a weapon). Of course, there's also the fact that people sometimes wave people toward them, or wave their hand in the air in class (so that the teacher will call on them), but these are much more obvious.