Do professors like when students introduce themselves to them?

In summary, professors are people too and they can vary in how welcoming they are to students. It all depends on the individual and the nature of the university.
JessicaJ283782
I've always kind of wondered this, but professors like when students stop by their office hours the first or second week of class to introduce themselves?

Physics news on Phys.org
Professors are people too, and they have all the variability people have. Some will, some won't.

I don't know about your university specifically, but my uni has a fairly small, tight-knit physics department so the students and professors all get to know each other fairly well fairly quickly. I frequent just barge into a few of my lecturers offices to chat to them completely uninvited (obviously I won't do so if they're very clearly busy) and they're almost always happy to chat (sometimes they'll stop me in the corridor to chat to me).

I guess it all just depends on the nature of your university, the individual professors themselves, etc, etc. I guess the only way to find out is to try! I would say in general people respect initiative and if you're polite and enthusiastic then your introducing yourself to them will probably be fairly well received!

Best of luck.

You can always stop by if you have some questions regarding the material and try to engage in some small talk in the process.

I personally enjoy talking to students (although I don't deal with undergraduates too often), but I am also quite busy and having someone pop in unannounced when I'm trying to get some work done can be an unwelcomed distraction. So it's probably worth mentioning that the proper etiquette is to do this during office hours - time that the professor has specifically set aside for students. Otherwise an email to set up an appointment also works.

I personally went and met many of my professors and talked a bit about myself, so they get to know me. Just make sure to go within office hours and/or book an appointment.

1. What is the best way to introduce myself to a professor?

The best way to introduce yourself to a professor is to approach them after class or during their office hours. Introduce yourself with your name and your class or major, and express your interest in their course or research. Be sure to make eye contact and be respectful of their time.

2. Is it appropriate to introduce myself to a professor through email?

It is generally acceptable to introduce yourself to a professor through email, but it may not be as effective as introducing yourself in person. If you do choose to introduce yourself through email, be sure to keep it brief and professional. State your name, class or major, and your reason for reaching out. Follow up with a face-to-face interaction if possible.

3. How can introducing myself to a professor benefit me?

Introducing yourself to a professor can benefit you in several ways. It can make a good first impression and show your enthusiasm for their course or research. It can also help you build a relationship with the professor, which can be helpful for networking, obtaining letters of recommendation, and getting academic support.

4. Should I introduce myself to a professor even if I am not in their class?

It is not necessary to introduce yourself to a professor if you are not in their class, but it can still be beneficial. If you are interested in their research or plan to take their class in the future, introducing yourself can help you establish a connection and show your interest. However, be respectful of their time and do not expect the same level of interaction as a current student.

5. Is it appropriate to introduce myself to a professor outside of school?

It is generally not appropriate to introduce yourself to a professor outside of school unless you have a prior connection or are attending a school-related event. Professors have personal lives outside of school and may not want to be approached in those settings. It is best to stick to introducing yourself during class or office hours.