1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do professors like when students introduce themselves to them?

1. May 8, 2014 #1
    I've always kind of wondered this, but professors like when students stop by their office hours the first or second week of class to introduce themselves?

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2014 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Professors are people too, and they have all the variability people have. Some will, some won't.

4. May 9, 2014 #3
    I don't know about your university specifically, but my uni has a fairly small, tight-knit physics department so the students and professors all get to know each other fairly well fairly quickly. I frequent just barge into a few of my lecturers offices to chat to them completely uninvited (obviously I won't do so if they're very clearly busy) and they're almost always happy to chat (sometimes they'll stop me in the corridor to chat to me).

I guess it all just depends on the nature of your university, the individual professors themselves, etc, etc. I guess the only way to find out is to try! I would say in general people respect initiative and if you're polite and enthusiastic then your introducing yourself to them will probably be fairly well received!

Best of luck.

5. May 9, 2014 #4
    You can always stop by if you have some questions regarding the material and try to engage in some small talk in the process.

6. May 9, 2014 #5

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I personally enjoy talking to students (although I don't deal with undergraduates too often), but I am also quite busy and having someone pop in unannounced when I'm trying to get some work done can be an unwelcomed distraction. So it's probably worth mentioning that the proper etiquette is to do this during office hours - time that the professor has specifically set aside for students. Otherwise an email to set up an appointment also works.

7. May 9, 2014 #6
    I personally went and met many of my professors and talked a bit about myself, so they get to know me. Just make sure to go within office hours and/or book an appointment.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook