Does Golden Key Honor Society membership help with grad school applications?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Phyisab****
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 4K views
Phyisab****
Messages
584
Reaction score
2
Has anyone heard of this before? Apparently I was just invited to be a member due to being in the top 15% of my class. I usually consider stuff like this to be B.S., what do you guys think? Would it have any effect on grad school applications?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Phyisab**** said:
Has anyone heard of this before? Apparently I was just invited to be a member due to being in the top 15% of my class. I usually consider stuff like this to be B.S., what do you guys think? Would it have any effect on grad school applications?

None at all.
 
I figured. My next question is then, why do these things exist and who bothers to join, and who cares?
 
Some are waiting for the money from Nigerian princesses, others become members of the Golden Key Honor Society.
 
They give you a golden key to wear around your neck, and it unlocks the AV closet by the 2nd story stairwell. Only after joining will you know what this mysterious closet contains.
 
Borek said:
Some are waiting for the money from Nigerian princesses, others become members of the Golden Key Honor Society.

I guess that went over my head.
 
Phyisab**** said:
Has anyone heard of this before? Apparently I was just invited to be a member due to being in the top 15% of my class. I usually consider stuff like this to be B.S., what do you guys think? Would it have any effect on grad school applications?

It is worthless. Though if you ever plan on going into being a stockbroker or insurance sales the membership list will give some cold call leads.
 
Being in an honor society is pretty useless for graduate school applications. Now if you can *use* your membership to do something useful (i.e. organize a science fair or start a physics tutoring program) that would be somewhat useful.
 
I'm a member. When I was in school, I met some pretty cool people through the meetings. It's not very useful to me now, though.