Does my accent sound odd? (Video included)

• Thread starter airbusman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sound
In summary, the conversation discusses accents and where the speaker is from. One person mentions living in the US midwest and thinking the speaker's accent sounds normal, while another person points out that it sounds Canadian. The speaker wonders what their accent would be classified as, with others suggesting it may have an "American" or Canadian influence.
airbusman
School's done, and I'm in the middle of summer break, so I've got time to worry about things like this. (Y)

I moved to a town 30 minutes from Toronto when I was 2, and have lived here ever since. I was born in Korea, but I thought that I sounded like any other Torontonian. Nope, there's something about the way I speak that sounds foreign...what would my accent be classified as?

Video:

Physics news on Phys.org
Doesn't sound normal at all to me. In fact, it sounds outright Canadian.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Maybe an accent but not noticible. "American" or Canadian.

Just a tad Canadian.

What are the factors that can affect one's accent?

There are multiple factors that can affect one's accent, including the region or country they grew up in, the language(s) they were exposed to as a child, and their exposure to different accents through media or travel.

How can I improve my accent?

Improving one's accent takes time and practice. It can be helpful to listen to native speakers, mimic their pronunciation, and practice speaking with others. Additionally, working with a speech therapist or taking accent reduction classes can also be beneficial.

Can I completely get rid of my accent?

It is possible to reduce or modify an accent, but completely getting rid of it may be difficult. The way we speak is deeply ingrained in our brains and can be influenced by our environment and upbringing. However, with consistent practice and effort, significant improvements can be made.

Will having an accent affect my communication skills?

Having an accent does not necessarily affect one's communication skills. However, it may require more effort for others to understand you, and it may lead to misinterpretations or misunderstandings. It is important to practice clear pronunciation and enunciation to improve communication with others.

Is having an accent a bad thing?

No, having an accent is not a bad thing. It is a natural part of our identity and can add richness and diversity to our communication. Accent should not be seen as a negative thing, but rather something unique and special about an individual.