1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Does physics allow us to create large amounts of negative energy?

1. Aug 4, 2016 #1
    Hello.
    Casimir effect allows to create negative-energy-density (NED), but ONLY SMALL AMOUNTS of it. I wonder if physics generally allows for the existence of negative energy in large quantities. I think that if the negative energy can be produced in small quantities, it can also occur in larger quantities. If it's possible, how to achieve it? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2016 #2

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

E.g. by defining the 0 point of potential energy as being far away from the source of gravity (a standard practice). Then you gain negative energy as you fall down towards that source. You can get arbitrarily large negative energy by using arbitrarily large masses.

4. Aug 4, 2016 #3
    But I think that negative energy in gravitational field is useless (it can not stabilize wormholes, allow FTL travel etc.). I'm right?

5. Aug 4, 2016 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

But isn't part of your original question. You asked if we can create "negative energy". Since the "zero" of such energy can be defined arbitrarily, then a gravitational potential is as valid as any.

And since when is gravitational field useless? Have you looked a water dam lately?

Zz.

6. Aug 4, 2016 #5

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Negative Electrical Energy is what produces the heat output from chemical processes and Negative Nuclear Energy gives us Nuclear Power. Whenever a system Energy drops lower in a potential well, Energy may be available to 'use'.

7. Aug 4, 2016 #6
    Writing this post I meant the negative energy that can stabilize wormholes , allow FTL travel , time travel . I ask about the possibility of creating negative energy that would be able to do this.

8. Aug 4, 2016 #7

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

What physics are you using to somehow connect "negative energy" to "...stabilize wormholes , allow FTL travel , time travel..."

Please note that your example of the Casimir energy DOES NOT lead to any of these things.

Zz.

9. Aug 4, 2016 #8
    So it is impossible?

10. Aug 4, 2016 #9

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

According to all known and reasonably conjectured physics (which is the only kind we discuss here), yes, it is impossible.

It possible that some new physics will be discovered in the future changes this.... But it's also possible that some new physics will be discovered in the future that allows purple fairies to materialize out of this thin air. Without a well-constructed candidate theory and some experimental evidence, both possibilities are equally idle speculation.

This thread is closed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook