Dropped Jackson's Electrodynamics while drinking beer

  • Thread starter Thread starter Rach3
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
13 replies · 4K views
Rach3
Was holding Jackson's Electrodynamics in one hand, beer bottle in other, leaned over to peer closer at a figure and whoosh... flying through the air. Hit my head pretty hard on a post, but I was very lucky and was able to keep the beer from spilling. No symptoms of concussion, just the unpleasant bruise. I'll try to medicate that with the beer, or the Jackson, or the synergistic confounding effects of both.

At least no one saw me, unlike the time I walked into a metal lampost.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I should probably mention I'm not doing Jackson problems at 4:20 AM again, I happen to be in a different time zone, one in which it's the early evening right now...

Help! My computer battery is about to die, and I just noticed the electric prongs here are all funny and my power cord doesn't fit! bye.....

Hurray! My computer is running on 240 volts, and has not yet exploded!

Oh well, back to the magnetohydrodynamics of beer bubbles.

(incididentally, I photographed my avatar myself! *copyright 2007)

Moderator note: separate replies merged into one. No need to make everyone keep scrolling for a series of one-sentence comments.[/color]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
If I were alright, would I want to be a grad student?

(that's rhetorical)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Rach3 said:
Hurray! My computer is running on 240 volts, and has not yet exploded!

I wouldn't run a computer on the voltage and the wrong frequency of current.

A coffee maker will work okay for a few months with an adaptor before dieing, but even a coffee maker doesn't really work as well. You need a transformer.
 
From here:

The preferable type of PFC is Active Power Factor Correction (Active PFC) since it provides more efficient power frequency. Because Active PFC uses a circuit to correct power factor, Active PFC is able to generate a theoretical power factor of over 95%. Active Power Factor Correction also markedly diminishes total harmonics, automatically corrects for AC input voltage, and is capable of a full range of input voltage. Since Active PFC is the more complex method of Power Factor Correction, it is more expensive to produce an Active PFC power supply.
 
Most laptop transformers are rated for 100-240 at 50-60 Hz. It usually says right on the transformer what the acceptable range is for voltage and frequency.

Rach, try to stay away from dangerous objects like chairs and books.
 
Last edited:
I once fell backwards off a wall whilst drunk and landed on my head(seriously, I nearly cracked a rib and ended up with a big bump on the noggin) That was enough to teach me that sitting and drinking do not mix well, now I try and remain horizontal if at all possible whilst drunk, the ground moves less and it's easier to fall asleep.:wink: :smile:
 
This reminds me of a time when I was at a friends house and he was so drunk that he went to sit down and he missed the chair and fell... twice. lol
 
Rach3 said:
Hurray! My computer is running on 240 volts, and has not yet exploded!
That's proper power! :biggrin:
 
dontdisturbmycircles said:
This reminds me of a time when I was at a friends house and he was so drunk that he went to sit down and he missed the chair and fell... twice. lol

My friend who's about 6'7" and about 19 and a half stone was walking out of the toilets once after having had a few, and he fell over as he did so though he rolled over and decided to keep going to great comedy effect, he got up at the bar and ordered a pint, to the applause of everyone in the place, absolutely hilarious :biggrin:
 
Schrödinger's Dog said:
I once fell backwards off a wall whilst drunk and landed on my head(seriously, I nearly cracked a rib and ended up with a big bump on the noggin) That was enough to teach me that sitting and drinking do not mix well, now I try and remain horizontal if at all possible whilst drunk, the ground moves less and it's easier to fall asleep.:wink: :smile:

Whenever visiting a pub, it's best to wear shoes that say "Other End Up" on the souls.

(I can't believe that hasn't been explained in those 'Man Law' commercials.)
 
BobG said:
Whenever visiting a pub, it's best to wear shoes that say "Other End Up" on the souls.
What was he doing going to the toilet in the first place??

Golden rule: never break the seal :-p :biggrin: