1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electro-mechanical technician training

1. Jun 20, 2007 #1
    hubby signed up for this course quite a while ago, but hasnt gotten started yet (busy with work and procrastinating).

does this sound accurate:

what are his chances of getting a decent paying (more than 55k per year canadian) job after getting this certificate? or is that unrealistic?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2007 #2
    Does he already have an engineering degree? If not, that sounds extremely high for someone with a high school diploma + a certificate.
  4. Jun 20, 2007 #3
    Just to throw this in as an afterthought...

After a quick google search, it seems that the average EM technician in the US makes about 42 grand (45 grand Canadian?) So the low end they claim is pretty accurate looking, but I don't know where they are getting 120 grand. There is probably one guy who is an EM tech who started a small business somewhere, so technically you can make 120 grand as an EM tech.

The thing with a job like this is there is most likely a ceiling that is pretty low. I doubt there's much movement (promotions, etc). If you're content with 42 grand, then I guess it's worth it.
  5. Jun 20, 2007 #4

Gold Member

I know of poeple with engineering technology degrees (4 yr; BS) who don't even make that much at entry level positions. That looks like entry level salary for someone with an engineering degree.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?