1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnetics radars and antennas

1. Aug 23, 2015 #1
    What are the best universities in the world offering ms programs in applied electromagnetics, radars and Antennas.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2015 #2
    Off the top of my head from what I've seen (after looking into master's programs in electrical engineering with focuses in electromagnetics), I'd say some of the best ones are the University of Michigan, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, University of Texas, Texas A&M, I've had a professor suggest Iowa State to me, and the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign would probably be one of the best.

4. Aug 23, 2015 #3
    Anything specific to Antennas and electromagnetics?

5. Aug 23, 2015 #4
    Thank you so much
    Anything specific to Antennas and electromagnetics.

6. Aug 23, 2015 #5

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ohio State

7. Aug 23, 2015 #6
    Most high-performing radar designs are derived from military experience. Any reputable Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering school should be enough to get you started. After that, I suggest military service. You really should see how these things operate before attempting to design better ones.

8. Aug 23, 2015 #7

jasonRF

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm only familiar with US schools. Given that, I agree with Dr Transport - Ohio State is an electromagnetics and antenna powerhouse. Another not mentioned yet is University of Kansas, which has a strong radar program (lots of signal processing), but isn't particularly known for electromagnetics. At the undergrad level it may not matter much for coursework, but may matter for research and project opportunities.

jason

9. Aug 23, 2015 #8
    Thank you so much Jason and I'd like to ask one more question, apologies for asking too many.

I had good understanding of electromagnetics and Antennas in my undergraduate program, I got straight A's in Engineering mathematics and I love the application part of Antennas, I really want to work in a space organization and apply knowledge after gaining an MS degree.

Can you please suggest, which universities I should opt for and how should my approach be?

Thanks a ton again :-)

10. Aug 24, 2015 #9

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Penn State is another one, Doug Werner has been a leader in the academic world for a while.....

11. Aug 25, 2015 #10

jasonRF

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

aashu1829,

I'm sorry that I do not know the best route to get into a space organization doing antenna/electromagnetics work. Perhaps it might be possible to find out what universities your target organizations recruit from?

jason

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook