Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Embarassing things you do without thinking

1. Sep 1, 2011 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I think I may have made a thread about this a long time ago but maybe I didn't.

Does anyone else have things they do on a daily or hourly basis that occasionally embarrass you? Now, I'll give you an example of stuff I do that occasionally gets screwed up and makes me look stupid (to myself, no one is typically around to see it).

Every time I walk into my room with my tv and computer, I instinctively, every day turn on the light switch, walk over to my desk and turn the desk light on. Then when I leave, I turn off the desk light then go turn off the light switch for the room. Now, occasionally I forget to turn the desk light on but when I leave the room, I'll go to turn the desk light off and since it's already off, I turn it on :(. Same thing with the room light, if it's off already and I'm leaving, I'll instinctively flip the switch and it'll turn on!

The funniest parts are when I get home and am exiting my car. We all have our routine, unlatch our seat belt, pull it of and step out. Occasionally I'll get some food from a really close fast food place and I'll have taken my seat belt off to grab the food and what not and not put it back on. But when I get home, even without having my seat belt on, I'll instinctively unlatch the seat belt and actually make the motions of pulling my seat belt off yet there is no seat belt!!

To me it's just amaaaaazing how repetitive tasks become so ingrained that we don't even think when doing them!

Does anyone else have hilarious things they do completely on instinct without even thinking about what you're doing?

Hey it's a slow day. DISCUSS!!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2011 #2
    Sadly ononism but don't judge me. :frown:

Memes are pretty cool I guess?

4. Sep 1, 2011 #3
    That Onan guy was so deceitful it just riles me up ... jeez .. I just spilt my coffer and now there's a wet spot. Aaagggghh.

5. Sep 1, 2011 #4
    Well, sometimes I black out for a few hours and wake in in the woods covered in blood, with no recollection of my actions. Pretty embarrassing to say the least!

6. Sep 1, 2011 #5

rhody

Gold Member

Penguin muscle memory !!! Ack !!!

Rhody...

Here ya go Peng, just for http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9H-r11XhGc&feature=related". We all do this without thinking, right ?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  7. Sep 1, 2011 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

8. Sep 1, 2011 #7

jhae2.718

Gold Member

9. Sep 1, 2011 #8

rhody

Gold Member

Pengy,

Not to worry about rick rolling with me, I wouldn't unleash that stupid video on my worst enemy, let alone one of my PF buddies. I have seen it too many times in chat already !!!

Rhody...

10. Sep 1, 2011 #9

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

11. Sep 1, 2011 #10

rhody

Gold Member

ACK !!!

You little PF miscreant, I hope someone puts that video in endless loop, duct tapes you to a chair, then puts toothpicks to keep your eyes open. That will teach you !!!

Rhody...

12. Sep 1, 2011 #11

jhae2.718

Gold Member

13. Sep 1, 2011 #12
    At home, When I seriously talking to a person or when I am completely immersed in what I am doing (like playing a Video game, watching movie, reading an interesting post) and if a third person asks me to handover something near my reach (such as pen,clippers,calculator, water etc), I don't turn my head completely to grab that object, but only maybe use peripheral vision or turn head only for short time, And I always grab the wrong object. I realize this only after I hand them the object and they complain and laugh its the wrong item.
    I simply cant get my mind to multitask, if attempted it does wrong calculations !

14. Sep 1, 2011 #13

Dembadon

Gold Member

15. Sep 1, 2011 #14
    For some reason this reminded me of Carl Dobkins Jr. who appeared, in person, at my small town's teenage Canteen back in the late 50's or early 60's.

Wrt the OP I found myself unconsciously moving to the music as Rick A. gyrated in the video. What does this mean? Should I be embarassed ... or scared? How can I make it go away?

16. Sep 1, 2011 #15
    Good question. I think it's either one of the real voices of Milli Vanilli or Neil Young without the falsetto.

He does move well though, doesn't he?

17. Sep 4, 2011 #16
    I frequently forget that I'm not wearing my hat. I'll walk into a room and reach up to remove the hat and...no hat. The person in the room sees me touching my forehead and probably thinks it's some kind of salute or gesture of respect or something.

"Greetings, Sahib."

18. Sep 4, 2011 #17
    I have a tendency when unwrapping something to throw the item in the trash and keep the wrapper. Fortunately it does not occur too often.

19. Sep 5, 2011 #18
    That's better than being http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAP3ZRYV6EU&feature=relmfu".

Yes.

The most embarrassing thing I do without thinking is revealing I actually know stuff like that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook