Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ever wondered who the first person to do some trivial thing was?

1. Sep 14, 2008 #1

wolram

Gold Member

Ever wondered who the first person to do some trivial thing was? like who was the first person to wear pajamas or the first person to wear high heeled shoes, or the first person to wear a top hat, and why.
    And were you or your ancestors first in any thing in your area, AFAIK my dad was the first to have ITV in our village, he made a two valve converter and erected an antenna on a pole 6 foot above the house roof to get good reception.
    My grand dad was the first in the village to offer a battery recharge and rebuild service, nothing to special but the first any way.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2008 #2
    Re: Firsts

All the time.

Who was the first person to purposely cut their hair? Do a hand stand? Play catch? Eat an Apple? Ride a horse? Manipulate fire? See a kangaroo? Etc.. ad nauseum.

Totally trivial, but fascinating none the less.

4. Sep 14, 2008 #3

First to send a motorbike across the ocean as a token of PF friendship -Wolly.

5. Sep 14, 2008 #4

What is this about motorcycles and friendship? I want, ha ha.

6. Sep 15, 2008 #5

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Who was the first person to drink beer?

and since you know it probably didn't taste so good,

Who was first to drink beer a second time?

7. Sep 15, 2008 #6

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It is my understanding the my Great-Great grandfather was Salt Lake City's first death due to a car -pedestrian accident.

8. Sep 15, 2008 #7

I hadn't given it any thought. No one has asked me that question before.

9. Sep 15, 2008 #8

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My girlfriend's grandfather invented the fork. Then again, he was also friends with Gandhi.

10. Sep 15, 2008 #9

When I'm up in the mountains I often stop and wonder if I'm the very first person ever to stand in this exact spot.l

11. Sep 15, 2008 #10

The first high heel wearers, were male.:cool:

12. Sep 15, 2008 #11

turbo

Gold Member

The first beer-drinker may have been a Sumarian, though it's likely that the Sumarians learned brewing from someone earlier.

13. Sep 15, 2008 #12

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

They were probably the first to wear shoes too.

For high heel shoes, I'd speculate that not only was it a male, but more likely a short male trying to enhance his stature.

14. Sep 15, 2008 #13

wolram

Gold Member

:surprised, dare i ask, heck i hope they were not the first to wear mini skirts.

15. Sep 15, 2008 #14

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_heels

Horse back riders were first, which makes sense, but...

Beginning with the French, heel heights among men crept up, often becoming higher and thinner, until they were no longer useful while riding, but were relegated to "court-only" wear. By the late 1600s men's heels were commonly between three and four inches in height.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?