1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Everytime I start doing math on paper I lose interest

1. Aug 30, 2012 #1
    I then think that I *should*be spending my time in something more "practical" like R or C++ or matlab....then stop the math to code lol

When I do a lot of coding I notice I go to the math and find that I'm able understand it easier because the notation/syntax is so much less busy. Do the majority of mathematicians do math thru machine.....? or on paper.

I don't know if anyone else has had this experience..

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2012 #2
    Well it depends on what you're talking about. Computational Mathematicians (and Applied Mathematicians) often require computer help. Pure Mathematicians (from what I understand) would rarely require the use of computers.

I am amazed however that you find code syntax easier to read than mathematical syntax.

4. Aug 30, 2012 #3

Bacle2

Science Advisor

Have you tried reading any Differential Geometry ? Its notation is famously difficult.

5. Aug 30, 2012 #4
    I haven't, though on some quick research I would be inclined to agree. I stand behind what I said on a general level though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook