Free easy to use discussion forum for U3A group?

In summary, the leader of a University of the Third Age discussion group is looking for a free and easy-to-use online platform to continue their discussions, as their in-person meetings have been suspended due to the Coronavirus situation. They are considering groups.io and other options such as Skype, Mattermost.org, and rocket chat. They are not tech-savvy enough to set up a platform themselves and are hoping for something with the ability to set up different threads and restrict posting to their group. If no suitable option is found, they will continue discussions via email.
sdo62
Hi, I am the leader of a University of the Third Age discussion group which has just been suspended due to the ongoing Coronavirus situation. I am hoping to be able to continue our discussions online in some way.

All group members are tech savvy enough to use email, and search the internet, but aren’t on social media like Facebook and probably don’t have experience with any sort of online discussion forum. I am wondering if there is a free easy to use discussion platform which would allow me to set up online discussions similar to what is available here, with different threads for different topics.

I am aware of groups.io and will be investigating to see whether it would be suitable, but would appreciate any other suggestions. Note that my tech skills aren’t good enough to set up any sort of platform myself, so I am looking for something that is free to join that I can quickly set up threads as required – I don’t see any need for moderation as long as posting can be restricted to my group. Failing a suitable option, we will probably continue discussion by email, but that will inevitably get messy and hard to follow, I think

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
How about Mattermost.org? I believe it’s free and it allows public and private groups to discuss things.

Another is rocket chat and their community edition.

https://rocket.chat/pricing

not much more to add here. You can find some more options via google search.

closing now.

1. How do I join the discussion forum for my U3A group?

To join the discussion forum for your U3A group, you can either ask your group coordinator for an invitation or visit the forum's website and register for an account. Once you have an account, you can access the forum and participate in discussions.

2. Can I use the forum for non-U3A related discussions?

No, the discussion forum is specifically for U3A group members to discuss topics related to their group's activities and interests. If you are looking for a general discussion forum, there are many other options available online.

3. How do I start a new discussion thread on the forum?

To start a new discussion thread, go to the forum's homepage and click on the "New Thread" button. Then, choose a relevant topic, write your post, and click "Submit". Your thread will then be visible to other members of your U3A group.

4. Can I upload images or documents to the forum?

Yes, you can upload images and documents to the forum to share with other members. The forum has a built-in file upload feature that allows you to attach files to your posts. However, please be mindful of copyright laws and only share content that you have permission to distribute.

5. How can I report inappropriate content on the forum?

If you come across any content on the forum that is inappropriate, offensive, or violates the forum's rules, you can report it to the forum's moderators. Usually, there is a "Report" button next to each post that you can click to notify the moderators. They will then review the content and take appropriate action.