Cinco de Mayo music celebration

  • Thread starter Thread starter DiracPool
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
12 replies · 3K views
DiracPool
Messages
1,254
Reaction score
514
Let me be the first to wish everyone a happy Cinco de mayo! And now, for your listening entertainment...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75vz_m_0OXc
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not super familiar with Cinco de Mayo, but I understand it's a celebration of a Mexican victory over French occupation forces, as well as a general celebration of Mexican culture. In any case, I love love LOVE mariachi music, and I saw this video yesterday that warmed my heart, so I thought to share it. :)

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome! Thanks for that Adyssa. I guess music truly is the universal language. Did you see him dancing? All he needs now is a mexican hat.
 
I went to Mexico on vacation back in 2006. I invented a new drink!

I had one just two nights ago.

It is still good, after all of these years.
 
Happy Cinco de mayo! Maybe I should take a trip to Mexico. :smile:
 
Logger said:
I wouldn't if I were you

www.borderlandbeat.com scary stuff
Wasn't planning on going to the border anyway. I was kidding about 'maybe' going to Mexico. My wife and I go every year to an enclosed, all-inclusive resort south of Cancun. It's quite safe.
 
Borg said:
Wasn't planning on going to the border anyway. I was kidding about 'maybe' going to Mexico. My wife and I go every year to an enclosed, all-inclusive resort south of Cancun. It's quite safe.
Last time Evo Child went to Cancun, her purse was stolen. But Cancun was actually created as a tourist resort, so is probably the safest place in Mexico.
 
Evo said:
Last time Evo Child went to Cancun, her purse was stolen. But Cancun was actually created as a tourist resort, so is probably the safest place in Mexico.

And probably full of purse thieves (who are as likely to be other tourists as natives).

The impression I get from talking to my Mexican friends is that most of Mexico is perfectly fine; it's the border towns that are a problem.
 
Ben Niehoff said:
And probably full of purse thieves (who are as likely to be other tourists as natives).
She saw the Mexican boys that stole it, but they took off running. Luckily it was at the pool so all she had in it was some cash and her new ipod (this was a few years ago).

Obviously all tourist traps have thieves, she was young and trusting, it was a fancy hotel, it was in plain site, no one would take it... In the US it would have been American thieves. She has since learned to trust no one.

I don't think I was more worried about being robbed than I was in Sicily, and I have been to third world countries.
 
Last edited:
Ben Niehoff said:
Well, Sicily is practically run by the mob, so that makes sense.
My ex-fiance was from Sicily, which is why I was there. He said the mentality there is if it's not locked away, it's theirs. He said it's why they can't have coin operated newspaper stands like in the US. If a Sicilian puts a coin in the box and the lid opens, he won't just take one paper, he'll take all of them, the reasoning is, all of the papers are lying there when the lid opens, so they are all his. :-p

I have to say the begging from children that accost you in the street are just like the children beggars that accost you on the other side of the Mediterranean. My fiance warned me not to look at them or talk to them because they were part of a large organized scam, well known to natives, but not to the gullible tourists that thought they actually needed money.

I ran across the same type of organized crime that uses children in Thailand. The crime bosses send children out to wealthy tourist hotels to sell counterfeit merchandise to foolish Americans. He said that they are trying to stop this abuse of children but they need tourists to stop falling for it.
 
Last edited:
Ben Niehoff said:
And probably full of purse thieves (who are as likely to be other tourists as natives).

The impression I get from talking to my Mexican friends is that most of Mexico is perfectly fine; it's the border towns that are a problem.

When I went to Mexico, I had an awesome time.

Day 1: Saw a turtle laying eggs on the beach
Day 2: Went to Costco to buy massive amounts of booze
Day 3: Saved a lady from drowning
Day 4: Found a fancy pair of glasses the lady from Day 3 said she'd lost
Day 5: Had fun with some downgraded hurricane thingy
Day 6: Went to town, saw some guy bring in a fancy marlin, and found out my newly found glasses were worth $400
Day 7: Watched baby turtles being released on the beach
Day 8: Snorkeled
Day 9: Invented a new drink. (hic!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQnHAb_6sOs​

I cannot hear this song, and not think about my magical trip.

And of course, as with all trips I didn't want to go on in the first place, I, had the best time.

Karma takes care of me. o:)