Hardcover vs paperback, cut content?

• Relativity
  • Thread starter PHY2000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cut
In summary, the conversation discusses the purchase of a hardcover version of the book "Spacetime Physics" and the discovery that it only contains three chapters instead of the expected eight. The person is wondering if this is typical for hardcover versions and why anyone would do this. It is speculated that the book may be an overseas edition reprint and it is revealed that the first edition is believed to be better than the second edition, but the hardcover version may not have solutions to the problems.
PHY2000
i just bought the hardover version of Spacetime physics and i found it contains only 3 chapters out of the supposed 8 that it should contatin, can someone enlighten me on what is going on?
is this expected with hardcover versions? that they contain less content? or is it just this textbook?
and why would anyone do this?
thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
What edition is it, according to the copyright page? Also, does the table of contents differ from the version with eight chapters?

It seems that this is the first edition. My red, paperback first edition has three chapters, and it also has solutions to all the problems. Many people (but not all) think that the first edition is better than the second edition, but I don't think the hardcover version of the first edition has solutions to the problems.

Thank you

1. What is the difference between a hardcover and paperback book?

A hardcover book, also known as a hardback or casebound book, is a book with a stiff cover made of cardboard covered with cloth, leather, or paper. Paperback books, on the other hand, have flexible covers made of paper or thin cardboard.

2. Which type of book is more durable?

In general, hardcover books are more durable than paperbacks because of their sturdy cover. They can withstand more wear and tear and last longer, making them a good choice for books that will be read multiple times or kept on a shelf for a long time.

3. Why do some books have cut content in paperback versions?

Some books may have cut content in their paperback versions due to cost and production considerations. Paperback books are usually printed in larger quantities and have a lower price point, so publishers may need to reduce the length of the book to make it more affordable for consumers. Additionally, paperback books have smaller pages, which means less content can fit on each page.

4. How does the choice between hardcover and paperback affect the reading experience?

The choice between hardcover and paperback does not necessarily affect the reading experience itself. However, the physical characteristics of the book, such as weight and size, may affect comfort and convenience for the reader. Some readers may prefer the sturdiness of a hardcover book, while others may prefer the portability of a paperback book.

5. Are there any advantages of choosing a hardcover over a paperback book?

Aside from being more durable, hardcover books also tend to have higher quality paper and printing, making them more visually appealing. They also often include special features such as dust jackets, which can add to the overall reading experience. Additionally, hardcover books are typically released first before the paperback version, so readers can get their hands on the book sooner. However, hardcover books are usually more expensive than paperbacks.