Bibliography recommendations for studying the history of mathematics

  • Thread starter Thread starter Lexie_AT
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    History
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Lexie_AT
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
As I'm starting studies in Pure Mathematics, I'd like to have a biblioagraphy to begin with. Then, can you give some bibliography to have an approach of the History oh Mathematics ?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
http://www.oup.com/us/catalog/general/subject/Mathematics/?view=usa&ci=9780195061352, http://www.oup.com/us/catalog/general/subject/Mathematics/?view=usa&ci=9780195061369, http://www.oup.com/us/catalog/general/subject/Mathematics/?view=usa&ci=9780195061376 & this
 
There's a documentary called "The Story of Maths" that's pretty good.
 
Mathematics: A Very Short Introduction by Timothy Gowers - it has a good "history of math" bibliography if you want to go further. He highlights Fourier jr.'s recommendation, so you might want to start there if you want to jump right in the deep end!
 
The history (biographies) of notable mathematicians is also quite fascinating.
I don't know if that is also covered in the history of mathematics.