How Can I Overcome Prejudice Against My Eye Twitch in Academia?

  • Thread starter Thread starter FalconOne
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
FalconOne
Messages
40
Reaction score
0
I have an eye twitch/tic and I hate it. There's really nothing I can do about it and I can't take medication for it. But what I hate more than my twitch is the response people, physicists in particular, have toward it. I present well, but I almost always get docked points because my "presence" isn't that great due to the twitch. I stand tall, I don't fidget, speak well, etc. but that twitch gets me down. I watch videos of myself, and if I didn't have that twitch, my presentation would be so much more enjoyed. People have been very rude ("Are you winking at me?" when I'm presenting a poster to them) and it makes me worry about my future in the field.

Do you have any suggestions on what I should do to be better respected in graduate school so that my professors at least understand? Should I just inform them upfront about it? What about when I TA? I frequently get mocked by a student or two when I'm in front of a group of people. What can I do to make people see past it when I present my work? Am I "doomed" with regards to presenting?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You're a military officer, right? What would you do if a junior enlisted did that to you? Do the same thing when a student does it.
 
I can quickly nip it in the bud when going home is at stake- or push ups... But what do you do with professors?
 
Last edited:
"Professor, I am surprised that you said that. Do you mock all the disabled?"
 
FalconOne said:
Should I just inform them upfront about it?

Absolutely! They should be aware that it is not voluntary.

You can also work it into your "schtick". Own it. Make an appropriate and good natured joke about it in your intro. There are many famous people who are known for their oddity or tick. Make it an advantage. Make it something people will help remember you by (not solely of course).