How Can Interactive Diagrams Enhance Understanding of Wave Phenomena?

  • Thread starter Thread starter yacatuco
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
2 replies · 3K views
Physics news on Phys.org
yacatuco said:
I created a few interactive diagrams to help my daughter better understand different wave phenomena. I thought they might be interesting to others as well.

👉 https://salva.github.io/wave-visualizations/index.html
This is a rather neat animation and certainly can be useful to a student trying to visualize such a motion.

I think the initial step would be to make the connection between SHM and circular motion first, because for a student just learning this, this connection is not obvious. I use the following animation to establish the connection. They get to see how a circular motion, viewed from a certain perspective, looks the same as the motion of a mass on a spring.

https://ophysics.com/w0.html

One comment about your animation. Since all three points are on the same graph, but at different locations, shouldn't the sinusoidal function include an initial phase angle for each of those points, or at least for the green and blue dot that are lagging the red?

Cheers!

Zz.