How Can Understanding Physics Help Us Make Sense of the World Around Us?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Duncan Meyers
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 621 views
Duncan Meyers
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Hi Forum-Friends...

Duncan Meyers. I'm not a physics major, nor can I do the math as well as you. But, I'm very curious to understand the physics involved in determining useful information in the world around me. I won't be very good at answering questions, although I sure will ask them. :)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks Greg,

How soon can I start asking questions?
 
Where would be a good place in the forums to ask:How do I figure out the btu's required to bring the thermal mass of a steel pressure canner at 70 F up to 300 F?
~ Propane is fuel source.
~ The canner is broken into three pieces:
1. Bottom plate is 36" in diameter and 1/2" thick.
2. Vertical pipe (wall) is 3/8" thick and has a outside diameter of 36" and is 36" tall.
3. Top plate is 40" in diameter and is 3/4" thick.

How do I figure out the btu's required to fill the canner with steam at 20 psig?
How much water is needed?
~The internal volume is 36643.536 cubic inches.