How deep does analysis go in Introduction and Farlow's PDE books?

  • Thread starter Thread starter romsofia
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Analysis
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
romsofia
Gold Member
Messages
603
Reaction score
337
Hey there, today my prof. said the next two lectures will be completely devoted to analysis in order to understand the PDE's we will be working with (We already derived the heat eq'n). We started off with sets today, not to bad; however, I was wondering how deep will we be going into analysis in order to understand the PDE's, so I could look up stuff (Seems like I'm the only student in the class without a heavy analysis background :X)?

We are using the book "Introduction to Partial Differential Equations with Applications by E. C. Zachmanoglou and Dale Thoe" and "Partial Differential Equations for Scientists and Engineers by Stanley Farlow".

Thanks for any help!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Since we cannot see your profs lesson plans there is no way to answer. Ask your prof.
 
romsofia said:
Hey there, today my prof. said the next two lectures will be completely devoted to analysis in order to understand the PDE's we will be working with (We already derived the heat eq'n). We started off with sets today, not to bad; however, I was wondering how deep will we be going into analysis in order to understand the PDE's, so I could look up stuff (Seems like I'm the only student in the class without a heavy analysis background :X)?

We are using the book "Introduction to Partial Differential Equations with Applications by E. C. Zachmanoglou and Dale Thoe" and "Partial Differential Equations for Scientists and Engineers by Stanley Farlow".

Thanks for any help!

Most of the real and complex analysis in PDE's is related to the Fourier Series, derivation of the Fourier Integrals, Dirichlet Kernel, Parseval's theroem, convergence and divergence of the sereis:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourier_series