How do affine connections work with spinors and non-tensors?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter thehangedman
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Gr
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
thehangedman
Messages
68
Reaction score
2
I know that GR deals exclusively with tensors (at least, in every book I have), but how does the same concepts of affine connection etc extend to non-tensor entities? Example would be a spinor, or even a mix of spinor / tensor. Are there different affine connections? Something different yet related (somehow) to Christoffel Symbols?

This is probably more of a pure mathematics question, but not all things in physics are tensors, and I was wondering how GR's ideas extend to these other mathematical entities.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The spin connection handles with fields living in "non-tensorial" representations of the Lorentz algebra in the tangent space. See e.g. Carroll's excellent notes on GR, chapter 3 :)