How Do Measurements and Excitation Wavelengths Affect Single NV Center Analysis?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter annaphys
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
1 reply · 2K views
annaphys
Messages
69
Reaction score
1
Hello, I have two questions regarding NV centers:

1. Measurements (ODMR, Rabi, Ramsey, Spin Hahn) are done with NV center ensembles. What would change with the measurements if only one NV center is measured?
2. A 517nm diode laser is used for the optical excitation. But this wavelength is different from the wavelength emitted by the NV centers. What other wavelengths could be used instead of the 517nm?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
annaphys said:
Hello, I have two questions regarding NV centers:

1. Measurements (ODMR, Rabi, Ramsey, Spin Hahn) are done with NV center ensembles. What would change with the measurements if only one NV center is measured?
You would get a weaker signal but I guess that is obvious. It is difficult to give a good answer to what else would change since it really depends on how the sample was prepared. Are you only measuring one NV centre because you have a scanning setup that allows you to address individual centres in an ensemble? Or do you you really have a sample with only one (or perhaps just a few) centre?

annaphys said:
2. A 517nm diode laser is used for the optical excitation. But this wavelength is different from the wavelength emitted by the NV centers. What other wavelengths could be used instead of the 517nm?
Its been a long time since I did any work on NV centres, but I am pretty sure you can only answer this once you've decided what you are trying to do. For example, cryogenic setups that combine lasers and RF will be quite different from an RT all optical setup.