How Does p_x + i p_y Symmetry Arise in P-Wave Superconductors?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter san_quanta
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Superconductivity
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 7K views
san_quanta
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Does anybody know how p_x + i p_y symmetry arises in a p-wave superconductor ? How does the complex form arise ? Thanks a lot ...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
san_quanta said:
Does anybody know how p_x + i p_y symmetry arises in a p-wave superconductor ? How does the complex form arise ? Thanks a lot ...

I'm not sure to what extent you want an answer to your question, because this is a topic that is covered in whole books!

p-wave superconductivity is the triplet pairing symmetry, first discovered in superfluid He3. This is as opposed to the singlet state of the ordinary conventional superconductors, and the d-wave cuprate superconductors. I'm not sure if it is any more complex in nature when compared to the d-wave superconductors. The mechanism for pairing is still debatable, but I think for the ruthenates family of superconductivity, phonons are thought to be responsible for such pairing.

I would suggest a review article might help, such as the one done by A. P. Mackenzie and Y. Maenob, Physica B: Cond. Mat. v.280, p.148 (2000).

Zz.