How much time have you spent on the internet?

In summary, the conversation participants are trying to estimate the amount of time they have spent on the internet and using their cell phones. They estimate anywhere from 9,000 to 30,000 hours for internet usage and have no idea for cell phone usage. They also mention how they have had varying levels of access and usage over the years. Some have been using the internet for over 12 years and have loved it since day 1. They also mention the convenience of being able to access information quickly compared to before. One person estimates 11,000 hours for internet usage over 10 years, while another mentions using it for several hours a day over the past 5 years. The conversation also touches on the introduction of bulletin boards and
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
For those who dare to venture a guess.

I came up with something around 18,000 hours over the last 15 years or so [I can't remember exactly what year was the first that we had internet service].

Also, for our texters, any guesses on blackberry time?

Physics news on Phys.org
15 years for the internet! Wow, that is hard to believe. IIRC, our first modem was 1200 baud.

I tried to calculate it and my calculator gave an error.

I've not had regular internet access for the entire time I've been using it. I had access way back when I lived with my grandparents but only for maybe a year before I moved out. I was probably on for several hours a day back then and even losing sleep to be online. I didn't have regular access again until I got my job at the college. That was only five days a week. After I quit there I didn't have regular access again until I bought my first laptop a little over a year ago.

I picked up my first cell phone about two and a half years ago. I have texted a lot when I have been flirting with girls I met online but other than that I haven't used my text features much. When I haven't had net access I have used my phone browser off and on for internet access.

A very liberal estimate would give me about 9,000 hours of internet time.
Phone time I have no idea. I can't think of any way of even estimating since my usage has been so erratic.

Too much.

Can't remember exactly since I got on the web for the first time, but it was in the years 95' or 96'. Given how limited it was, I think I was on AOL for 20 min every day. Once got cable internet I was on it 24/7, on some days and a few hours on slow days. Factor that in for straight 12 years, plus work internet and work mobile internet access, multiplied by 365 days, I'll be anywhere from 25,000-30,000 hours

I've been on the internet for over 12 years so I believe it. I loved it from day 1 until now.

waht said:
Can't remember exactly since I got on the web for the first time, but it was in the years 95' or 96'. Given how limited it was, I think I was on AOL for 20 min every day. Once got cable internet I was on it 24/7, on some days and a few hours on slow days. Factor that in for straight 12 years, plus work internet and work mobile internet access, multiplied by 365 days, I'll be anywhere from 25,000-30,000 hours

When I first landed at PF I was taking a long vacation after running hard for years. I was probably on 18 hours a day for a month. I remember one day when I received something like 200 email notifications! I guess it took a month to blow off steam from the last five years worth of.virtually non-stop work. But even now, if I'm not fighting a deadline, I almost always have PF up in the background if I'm working in the office. So if you counted not just my active time, but my total time online, the number would be much higher.

JasonRox said:
I've been on the internet for over 12 years so I believe it. I loved it from day 1 until now.

In 1993, if I wanted any technical information, I had to drive for an hour and a half, find parking, walk a half mile, dig through library files, make copies, get my library account fixed, etc, etc, etc. All in all, what once took two or four hours now takes less than a second; as soon as I can type the search terms.

I'd believe I averaged 2 hours a day (considering much of my internet use is split-time) for the past 13 years, or about 10,000 hrs.

Ivan Seeking said:
For those who dare to venture a guess.

I came up with something around 18,000 hours over the last 15 years or so [I can't remember exactly what year was the first that we had internet service].

Also, for our texters, any guesses on blackberry time?

You seem to have a lot of time on your hands, dear. How 'bout runnin' the vacuum for me? :approve: :!) :rofl:

Hah, would you like to calculate your Free Cell time? :biggrin:

My estimate: 11,000 hours (over 10 years).

I use the interwebs cau it gets people annoyed, may be 8 hrs a day for the three last week an 4 hours before for 5 years

Ivan Seeking said:
In 1993, if I wanted any technical information, I had to drive for an hour and a half, find parking, walk a half mile, dig through library files, make copies, get my library account fixed, etc, etc, etc. All in all, what once took two or four hours now takes less than a second; as soon as I can type the search terms.
That's about the time that I was first introduced to bullentin-boards. I think the modems were around 1200 baud.

My ISP is indicating I've been online 717 hours in April, 747 hours in March, and apparently only 12 hours so far this month (shocked).

If this is anything to judge by, I've been online close to 130,000 hours in the last 15 years.

1. How do you define "time spent on the internet"?

Time spent on the internet refers to the amount of time an individual spends actively engaging with online content, such as browsing websites, using social media, or streaming videos. It does not include time spent with devices connected to the internet, such as downloading files or streaming music in the background.

2. Is there a recommended or ideal amount of time to spend on the internet?

There is no universally recommended or ideal amount of time to spend on the internet. It varies for each individual depending on their personal and professional obligations, interests, and needs. However, it is important to maintain a healthy balance and not let excessive internet use interfere with daily responsibilities or relationships.

3. How do you track the amount of time you spend on the internet?

There are various tools and apps available that can help track the amount of time spent on the internet, such as browser extensions, mobile apps, and built-in features on devices. These tools can provide insights on which websites and apps are being used the most and how much time is spent on each.

4. Can spending too much time on the internet be harmful?

Excessive internet use can potentially lead to negative consequences, such as reduced productivity, social isolation, and physical health issues. It is important to be mindful of how much time is spent on the internet and to take breaks, engage in physical activity, and maintain a balance with other activities.

5. Are there any benefits to spending time on the internet?

There are numerous benefits to spending time on the internet, such as access to information, communication with others, and entertainment. It can also provide opportunities for learning, skill development, and career advancement. However, it is important to use the internet responsibly and in moderation to reap these benefits.