Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I heard small rocks falling inside one of the walls

1. May 17, 2012 #1
    I live in an apartment, and today I heard what seemed small rocks falling in one of the walls (it's a wall that goes through the center of the building), several times. Is this normal?

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2012 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I bet it's mice, or some sort of rodent, in the walls.

4. May 17, 2012 #3
    I live in the 4th floor, how would they come up here inside the walls?

5. May 17, 2012 #4
    Mice climb. So do rats, for that matter.

6. May 17, 2012 #5

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Mice can easily climb several stories, they're excellent climbers. They nest in walls, in the space between the studs. They'll chew "doors" through wood and gypsum.

7. May 17, 2012 #6

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Mice, definitely :smile: Look through your apartment for holes (even the tiniest ones) and stuff it with steel wool to prevent mice from entering. I had a mice who attempted to chew on the steel wool, which according to the squeaking scared the life out of it. One time the mouse did manage to pull the wool out of the way, but after sticking it back in it stayed away.

8. May 17, 2012 #7

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

maybe someone is trying to escape.

9. May 17, 2012 #8
    Mice are amazing climbers and amazing jumpers. I once saw a mouse jump 18 inches straight up. I caught it in a humane trap, then transferred it to an empty garbage bucket and put an old window screen on top. It jumped straight up, caught onto the screen and walked around upside down looking for a way out.

10. May 17, 2012 #9
    Maybe someone was on the floor above you drilling a hole in the wall and bits of drywall were falling down. Or drilling several holes (explains the several times it occurred). If nobody lives above you, then I would definitely check for the tell-tale signs of mice.

11. May 17, 2012 #10

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sounds like mice...

12. May 17, 2012 #11

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you get a burst of this sort of noise round about dawn and dusk, and occasionally at night, it's almost certainly mice which are noturnal unless they get disturbed by something during the daytime.

If this is a rented apartment, your landlord will probably want to call in a professional to get rid of them. They will try to eat anything, including the insulation of electrical wiring etc.

13. May 17, 2012 #12

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

14. May 17, 2012 #13

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Lol!

15. May 17, 2012 #14

DaveC426913

Gold Member

How old is your building?

If old enough, it is more likely to be chunks of lath and plaster.

16. May 17, 2012 #15
    It could be alligators. Sometimes they crawl out of your toilet. Something to think about while you sit.

17. May 17, 2012 #16

drizzle

Gold Member

:rofl:

18. May 17, 2012 #17
    Who is this guy ?

19. May 17, 2012 #18

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I'm not in the loop either. So I looked the URL of the pic, which got me to Google "ancient aliens guy". Now I wish I hadn't.

20. May 17, 2012 #19
    It only happened 1 more time since I made the topic, if it was a mouse he probably fell down :biggrin:

Oh that guy... It's funny to see the meme, but to watch that pseudo-scientific-conspiracy-theory show it's not fun at all :grumpy: According to them Jesus is an alien, saints are aliens, we're probably aliens, pyramids were built by aliens :\

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook