1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

IIT,Chicago or Stony Brook,NY

1. Apr 18, 2007 #1
    Hi,

I am from Bangalore. I have secured admissions in IIT, Chicago and Stony Brook for Electrical Engg Program, Fall '07. I am keen on Wireless as my area of focus. I am very confused as to which University to pick for my graduate staudies.

Also, I want to know which university has better research facilities and Job placements after finishing Masters ?
    I am very confused in making my choice. How good are financial aids for international students ? Can anyone help me?

Thanks,
    Madhur

Last edited: Apr 18, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2007 #2
    How did you manage to secure admission in IIT even before the results are out?

4. Apr 18, 2007 #3
    I think he means the Illinois Inst. of Tech.

5. Apr 18, 2007 #4
    Oops, sorry, my mistake.

6. Apr 18, 2007 #5
    Yeah I mean ILLinois Institute of Technology, Chicago :)

7. Apr 18, 2007 #6

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Er.. how did you managed to get into Chicago for "Electrical Engineering Program"? As far as I know, U. of Chicago does NOT have any engineering program!

At the undergraduate level, there are either zero or very, very limited financial aids for international students. Note that to get a visa, you need to show the financial ability to support yourself and pay the tuition. University of Chicago isn't cheap.

There was a thread here discussing IIT. Please read

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=161995

Stony Brook is a top-notch school on Long Island, NY. It is also part of the State University of New York system, so the tuition isn't as high as Chicago and IIT, which are private schools.

Zz.

8. Apr 18, 2007 #7
    Illinois Institute of technology(IIT), Chicago does offer M.S in Electrical engg.

Website is www.iit.edu

9. Apr 18, 2007 #8

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

When I said "Chicago", I meant "University of Chicago". I think I may have misread your OP, because when you said "IIT, Chicago, and Stony Brook", I read that as "IIT, University of Chicago, and Stony Brook", because "Chicago" here often refers to the University of Chicago. That is why I asked how you got accepted in an engineering program there. Obviously, someone else also thought the same way the first time around.

So to confirm, you only got accepted at the Illinois Inst. of Technology, and Stony Brook, ya?

P.S. I know A LOT about IIT. If not, I wouldn't have been able to write in that thread I pointed out to you.

Zz.

10. Apr 18, 2007 #9
    yeah i got accepted in Illinois Institute of technology , Stony brook, Suny buffalo, University of Massachuesetts, Amherst to name a few. Because of cost crunch i decided out of University of Massachuesetts, Amherst !!!

11. Apr 18, 2007 #10

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Unless the costs have changed, I would say that both SUNY Buffalo and Stony Brook would be your best choices. I would put Stony Brook way ahead of most schools in the US. It has excellent facilities, well-known faculty members, a prestige on par with Ivy League schools, and it is part of the consortium that runs Brookhaven Lab for the DOE. Universities that have close ties with a US Nat'l Lab tend to have excellent programs and opportunities.

Zz.

12. Apr 18, 2007 #11
    Thanks a lot for the info. Can you tel me more abt IIT in chicago? I am little keen on that. The programs,the faculty, the course content, environment if you have any information on that matter ? I have heard from a frnd that Wireless program in Stony brook is supposedly 'very bad' !!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?