Indian ISPs blocked Google's Blogger site by mistake

  • Thread starter Thread starter neutrino
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Fire
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
19 replies · 5K views
neutrino
Messages
2,093
Reaction score
2
Not some blogger, but Blogger, Google's blog site. For two days the Live Bookmarks of a couple of blogs that I follow (one being PF's very own string theorist-in-the-making, Dimitri Terryn) weren't loading (and they still don't!), and I wasn't able to access the site as well. Today, while watching the news on TV, I came across this story. The Indian Government has ordered all ISP's to block certain inflammatory blogs. But it so happens that ISP's have blocked the whole Blogger site. Their reason -

...ISPs say that they are not at fault for though a lot of the blocked sites are not on the list issued to them, there is a technical glitch as it's not possible to block certain pages, without blocking the entire site.


http://www.ibnlive.com/news/censored-govt-signs-out-bloggers/15886-3.html

Looks like India is trying to compete with China even in blocking websites. :rolleyes:

Thankfully, there are a few others (http://www.cosmicvariance.com" , for instance) which I've been able to follow. (But for how long? :rolleyes: )
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
MeJennifer said:
You could try a proxy server.
Yes, I think they did mention something along those lines on TV. *Goes off to google info*
 
neutrino said:
When was that?

It was in september 2003.
http://www.rediff.com/netguide/2003/sep/23yahoo.htm"
 
Last edited by a moderator:
siddharth said:
It was in september 2003.
http://www.rediff.com/netguide/2003/sep/23yahoo.htm"
Oh, ok. I don't think I was part of any group back then.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Get a free open source blog software and get a host. That is what I did. I'm not saying my blog is inflammatory :rolleyes:
 
This is outrageous! I am suddenly reminded of a quote of the PC game Alpha Centauri

"Beware of he who seeks to widhold you information...for in his heart he dreams himself your master."
 
Dimitri Terryn said:
Blogger seems te be running fine though. Altough the very thought of this happening is extremely scary...
This is just happening here. I am not able to access Geon Oh's blog,too.
 
Yeah, I misread the article. I edited my response, but just too late it seems. I do hope that this will be rectified soon, because it seems that it was never the intention to block the whole domains.
 
Here's another report this time from NYT: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/18/world/asia/18cnd-india.html

Wordpress is still working by the way...(I just put up a preliminary page this morning: http://darkmav.wordpress.com ) and so is xanga. But for most blogger users who are used to template freedom among other things, it isn't as good...besides we have hundreds of entries there! :cry:

Hopefully they will revoke the ban soon...
 
Last edited by a moderator:
But they've been down (again!) for sometime now. Crazy ISPwalas.
 
neutrino said:
But they've been down (again!) for sometime now. Crazy ISPwalas.

Oh they're working fine right now (at least from my place). So much for advertisement (lol): http://darkmav.blogspot.com/ and http://darkmav.wordpress.com (okay wordpress was never banned and I imported my blogger blog to this account for backup...who knows what they do next!)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Can't see your blogspot site, but it looks like you're into topology these days. ;)
 
neutrino said:
Can't see your blogspot site, but it looks like you're into topology these days. ;)

I am not into anything mate, just killing time and reading anything that comes in front of my eyes. :smile: Thats what holidays are for, I guess.