Is a Biophysics PhD a viable path to a tenure track position in academia?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
Kendall Pecere
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Hello all, I am in my sophomore year in college trying to prep for grad school, with my interest being in biophysics. My question is, since biophysics is so broad a subject, will it help my chances of getting a tenure track position in academia (ie, can apply for a position in biology, in chemistry, in physics, math, etc...)? Or, will I end up getting pigeon holed and only be able to apply to very specific positions?

I really have a passion for science of all kinds, and am interested in making the leap, but only if I have a decent shot at landing something that is stable and of interest to me (getting to do cutting edge research), otherwise it will be tough to justify, since I currently have a decent middle class job.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You will be looking for work in something like 10-15 years. It is impossible now to predict what the field will look like then.
 
I suppose that does make sense, though from everything I've heard, it sounds like there's nowhere else to go but up. But, what about applying into different departments? Is that possible, since I'll have expertise in so many different fields? Or will I just become highly specialized and pigeon holed into applying for JUST biophysics positions, for instance?
 
Kendall Pecere said:
there's nowhere else to go but up

That's absurd. If in 15 years there are N positions, what matters is not the size of N, but the size of N relative to the number of applicants: is it N? N/2? 2N? 10N?

Kendall Pecere said:
But, what about applying into different departments? Is that possible, since I'll have expertise in so many different fields?

Same problem. As Bohr said, "It is difficult to predict, especially about the future."
 
Makes sense. I guess my question is, given the uncertainty, is it worth taking the leap for someone who is currently 27 and has a job making ~$50k/yr?