Is It Feasible to Complete My Bachelor's Thesis in 60 Days?

  • Thread starter Thread starter vysethecoward
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Thesis
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
vysethecoward
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
What is expected from a bachelor's thesis (for engineering)? My adviser won't tell me and the guidelines/marking scheme don't say anything.

Also are advisers only meant to give "high level" advice (e.g. what areas to study) rather than technical stuff? Or is it the other way around? I don't know either way, but I'm worried that if I ask him the wrong thing then he'll take away marks from the "conduct" section of my grade (worth 12 %). Although I've already turned up to about 3 meetings not knowing anything, so I've probably lost most of those.

I've also done close to no work and have to hand in the report in around 60 days. Is this feasible?

I'm not a complete waster going on here as a last ditch thing, I've always had really good grades, even last term when I didn't revise well. That lack of work and zero motivation in the revision period has continued into this term.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Look at old bachelor's theses and see what they did.
Maybe it's too late now, but consider switching advisors.
 
vysethecoward said:
I'm worried that if I ask him the wrong thing then he'll take away marks from the "conduct" section of my grade (worth 12 %).
Wow. You need a working relationship. How is it that you're so far off?
It's really hard to give advice without witnessing what is going on. Certainly, at a minimum, you need to be free to ask questions. What (very specifically) makes you think that some questions of your adviser are taboo?
 
It doesn't say much for the program if students are worried about asking their advisors for advice due to a lack of clarity.

For reference, the way these things usually work is that you and your advisor should agree on a project. Generally when I've done this as an advisor, I like to see the student come to me with ideas - even if they are vague. We then figure out an outline and some specific project goals. From there we decide on a methodolgy to meet those goals. Usually by the end of the first meeting, I like to have a reasonably clear roadmap on how we expect to get from where we are to the project goal. (These things of course don't always go as planned, but having an initial plan at least allows you to get your wheels spinning.)

Advisors should be there to advise on just about anything - high level or specific details. What they cannot do is do the work for you. In this respect it may to some students feel as if they are not to be bothered with details, but advisors will often draw a line at going over material that the student is expected to know (or be able to look up).