Is The Hurt Locker the Most Realistic War Film Ever Made?

  • Thread starter Thread starter gravenewworld
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
gravenewworld
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
27
The Hurt Locker-**** 1/2 (out of 5)

Quite possibly one of the best films I've seen in the past several years and also one of the best war films ever made. This cracks the top 10 best war films list of all time IMO. The film is probably one of the most realistic non-documentary war films I've seen to date. Without ever enlisting and being shipped off to Iraq, this is the closest you will come to experiencing the war in Iraq. The script was written by Mark Boal, who actually spent time in Iraq with a real bomb squad (which is the main focus of the story). The film was also shot in Jordan because the director wanted authenticity. In fact, much of the film was shot only 3 miles from the border of Iraq (some of the actors were shot at while filming). Also many of the Iraqis depicted in the film are real Iraqi refugees. All the explosions are real in this film, no CGI. The director really seems to capture the essence of the conflict in this film. Don't expect some run and gun movie like Saving Private Ryan, Full Metal Jacket, or Black Hawk Down. Much of the war in Iraq isn't like that. There are no politics in this film, no ridiculous speeches, and no overly cheesy male bonding moments. This film perfectly captures the daily life of the bomb squad soldier in Iraq.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/hurt_locker/
 
Physics news on Phys.org


Oh nice, I wasn't expecting much from it! My nephew's a marine reservist and was in Iraq for a while and he told me about this movie. It should be interesting. He was showing me a video when he came back he took I believe. It was his convey getting hit by a roadside bomb, except it missed any of the vehicles. It was like a giant sphere of dirt exploding out of the ground, it was nuts!
 


They may not have used CGI for the explosions, but at least some of them were enhanced, IMO. At 1:37 in this trailer, for example:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/dor/objects/893478/hurt_locker/videos/hurtlocker_trlr_041609.html

That said, the movie looks pretty dang intense. I'll see if (15 y/o) berkeboy wants to see it.

BTW, in a recent training that I was in, we learned that the suits worn by the bomb technicians do not really protect you if your device goes off in front of you. They mostly hold all the body parts together to make the burial more feasible.

From the movie trailer, as the tech takes off his suit, "If I'm going to die, I'm going to die comfortable..."

Craziness. Stay as safe as you can, bomb techs!
 
Last edited by a moderator:


I also forgot to mention that it is either the cameraman or the cinematographer that is trained to do documentary film making. That's probably why the film feels very real.
 


An online friend of mine was actually in a bomb unit in Iraq. He got sent home early when they drove over a mine and the blast plate in the floor jammed his knees up into the dash. I guess they had driven through the area on their way in and figured they would drive out the same way. He says they assume someone must have moved the mine into their tracks in hopes they would hit it on the way out.

I'll have to check this out. Knowing him he has probably already seen it or plans to.
 


My friend is a former marine that did bomb detection in Iraq. I'll tell him about this movie (though he may not want to see it).