Is the Michelson Morley Experiment Flawed?

• Thread starter OneAverageGuy
  • Start date
In summary, the Michelson Morley experiment, conducted in 1887, aimed to detect the presence of the ether, a hypothetical medium for the propagation of electromagnetic waves. However, the experiment yielded inconclusive results, leading to the abandonment of the idea of the ether and the development of Einstein's theory of relativity. While some argue that the experiment was flawed due to experimental errors and limitations of technology at the time, others maintain that the results were accurate and helped pave the way for modern physics. Ultimately, the Michelson Morley experiment remains a significant event in the history of science and continues to be debated by scholars.
OneAverageGuy
How did you find PF?
DuckDuckGo search.
Hello everyone! I'm new to the group and have an interest in General Physics, GR, SR, and the study of Light. I've been away from the academic area for a long time (worked in engineering and management for many years). I am now retired but enjoy 'exercising my mind' and interacting with those that really want to better understand the universe around us.

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PhysicsForums! Great to have you here. :smile:

Looks like your first question thread is getting great replies :wink:

OneAverageGuy said:
Summary:: Michelson Morley experiment - flawed experiment??

I've heard claims the Michelson Morley experiment proves light moves at the same speed in all reference frames. However, after looking through the experimental setup, I do not see how they can make this claim. The entire experiment, from my view, was conducted in Earth's reference frame. His experiment would always show light moving at the same speed in any direction (as it does). He needs to observe from 'outside' Earth's reference frame to make claims on light speed in other reference frames. Am I missing something?

Likes OneAverageGuy