Is Unobtainium Real or Fictional?

• Thread starter MalloryCA
  • Start date
In summary, Unobtainium is a fictional material often used in science fiction and fantasy films and literature. It is typically portrayed as a rare and highly valuable substance with extraordinary properties, making it nearly impossible to obtain. While it does not exist in reality, the concept of Unobtainium serves as a plot device to drive the narrative of these works.
MalloryCA
Hi everyone, I followed a FB link to this group. I needed such a group years ago. I prefer handwavium than actual science science because real science makes my brain hurt and then new stuff sort of blooms in there and that's distracting for all my moldy old stuff that is nicely worn in. ::waves::

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
:welcome:

Hello and welcome,

I hope you will have fun anyway. Although I must say the humor in our comic department is sometimes a bit nerdy. But the non handwaving science is worth reading. :smile:

Stay curious!

MalloryCA said:
Hi everyone, I followed a FB link to this group. I needed such a group years ago. I prefer handwavium than actual science science because real science makes my brain hurt and then new stuff sort of blooms in there and that's distracting for all my moldy old stuff that is nicely worn in. ::waves::

Handwavium? What on Earth is that? 🤔

Likes berkeman

Related to Is Unobtainium Real or Fictional?

What is Unobtainium?

Unobtainium is a fictional material that is often used in science fiction and fantasy stories. It is typically described as a rare and incredibly valuable substance that is difficult or impossible to obtain through conventional means.

Is Unobtainium a real element?

No, Unobtainium is not a real element. It is a purely fictional material that has been used in various works of fiction.

Where did the term "Unobtainium" originate?

The term "Unobtainium" was first used in the 1950s by aerospace engineer and science fiction author, Jack Williamson. It has since been used in various science fiction and fantasy stories.

What are some examples of Unobtainium in popular culture?

Unobtainium has been featured in many popular science fiction and fantasy works, including the movie Avatar, the video game series Mass Effect, and the TV show Doctor Who.

Could Unobtainium ever exist in reality?

While Unobtainium is currently only a fictional material, scientists are constantly discovering and creating new materials with unique properties. It is possible that a material with similar characteristics to Unobtainium could be developed in the future, but it is highly unlikely that it would ever be called Unobtainium.