John Wayne's Birthtown Celebrates the Duke's 100th Birthday

• Thread starter Whyren
  • Start date
In summary, John Wayne's birthtown of Winterset, IA is celebrating his 100th birthday Memorial Day weekend (May 25-27). The events include chuckwagon cookouts, film screenings, a parade, concerts, Wild West shows, symposia with costars, a Cowboy Church service, and the groundbreaking for a new museum and learning center. One highlight of the groundbreaking will be John Wayne's son, Ethan Wayne, using a bulldozer or wrecking ball to demolish an old gas station. The film The Quiet Man will also be shown for free at the theatre during the celebration. Many people are excited to attend, including Marlon and someone who watched John Wayne's movies with their grandmother, with The Quiet
Whyren
John Wayne turns 100 this year and his birthtown of Winterset, IA is having a www.johnwaynebirthplace.org/centennial/[/URL] Memorial Day weekend (which happens to be his birthday weekend) May 25-27.

Events include chuckwagon cookouts, John Wayne films on the big screen, a parade, concerts by cowboy singer Michael Martin Murphey and Riders in the Sky (known for "Woody's Roundup" from Toy Story 2), Wild West Revue (think Buffalo Bill's Wild West show), trick horse riders, cavalry demonstrations, symposia with John Wayne costars, Cowboy Church service, Mercantile Emporium and groundbreaking for the new John Wayne Museum and Learning Center. From what I've heard, the groundbreaking isn't simply turning a shovel, but rather will be Ethan Wayne (his son) taking a bulldozer or wrecking ball to an old gas station!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Cool, I love John Wayne. Now, THAT's someone i would like to be like.

marlon

I would love to go to that! My Granny is a big John Wayne fan, and I had to watch his movies when I stayed summers with her. My personal favorit is The Quiet Man.

hypatia said:
I would love to go to that! My Granny is a big John Wayne fan, and I had to watch his movies when I stayed summers with her. My personal favorit is The Quiet Man.

If you're interested in coming, The Quiet Man is one of the films they will be playing for free at the theatre (Sun. May 27th, 9am).

What is "John Wayne's Birthtown Celebrates the Duke's 100th Birthday" about?

"John Wayne's Birthtown Celebrates the Duke's 100th Birthday" is about the celebration of iconic actor John Wayne's 100th birthday in his birthplace, Winterset, Iowa. It includes various events and activities to honor the life and legacy of John Wayne.

When is John Wayne's 100th birthday?

John Wayne's 100th birthday is on May 26th, 2007. This event was celebrated in his birthplace, Winterset, Iowa.

What are some examples of events and activities during the celebration?

Some examples of events and activities during the celebration include a parade, film screenings, and a 100-horse ride through downtown Winterset. There were also various displays and exhibits showcasing John Wayne's life and career.

Why is Winterset, Iowa significant in relation to John Wayne?

Winterset, Iowa is significant because it is the birthplace of John Wayne. He was born in a small house in Winterset in 1907 and spent his early years there before his family moved to California.

What is the purpose of celebrating John Wayne's 100th birthday in his birthtown?

The purpose of celebrating John Wayne's 100th birthday in his birthtown is to honor and pay tribute to the iconic actor and his contributions to the entertainment industry. It also serves as a way for the town of Winterset to showcase its connection to John Wayne and attract visitors to the area.

Back