John Wayne's Birthtown Celebrates the Duke's 100th Birthday

  • Thread starter Thread starter Whyren
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Whyren
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
John Wayne turns 100 this year and his birthtown of Winterset, IA is having a www.johnwaynebirthplace.org/centennial/[/URL] Memorial Day weekend (which happens to be his birthday weekend) May 25-27.

Events include chuckwagon cookouts, John Wayne films on the big screen, a parade, concerts by cowboy singer Michael Martin Murphey and Riders in the Sky (known for "Woody's Roundup" from Toy Story 2), Wild West Revue (think Buffalo Bill's Wild West show), trick horse riders, cavalry demonstrations, symposia with John Wayne costars, Cowboy Church service, Mercantile Emporium and groundbreaking for the new John Wayne Museum and Learning Center. From what I've heard, the groundbreaking isn't simply turning a shovel, but rather will be Ethan Wayne (his son) taking a bulldozer or wrecking ball to an old gas station!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Cool, I love John Wayne. Now, THAT's someone i would like to be like.

marlon
 
I would love to go to that! My Granny is a big John Wayne fan, and I had to watch his movies when I stayed summers with her. My personal favorit is The Quiet Man.
 
hypatia said:
I would love to go to that! My Granny is a big John Wayne fan, and I had to watch his movies when I stayed summers with her. My personal favorit is The Quiet Man.

If you're interested in coming, The Quiet Man is one of the films they will be playing for free at the theatre (Sun. May 27th, 9am).