Listening to a radio and hearing pop sound

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
18 replies · 4K views
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Messages
4,411
Reaction score
552
Siting listening to the radio i hear a quit loud (pop) ,enough to make me wonder what the heck,
looking around i could'nt think of what could caused it, it was only after hearing this (pop) several tlimes over the weeks that i found the cause, it was a coke bottle POPING back to its normal shape after it had been defomed, this could be some time after getting a drink.

So one noise solved another 3 awaitng.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
wolram said:
Siting listening to the radio i hear a quit loud (pop) ,enough to make me wonder what the heck,
looking around i could'nt think of what could caused it, it was only after hearing this (pop) several tlimes over the weeks that i found the cause, it was a coke bottle POPING back to its normal shape after it had been defomed, this could be some time after getting a drink.

So one noise solved another 3 awaitng.

Yes, that can be quite surprising.

I recently heard a strange regular double ticking on a couple of occasions in my kitchen, sort of a quiet "ba-dum" every few seconds. Turns out there was a recently emptied plastic milk bottle on the table, with its lid resting loosely on top. As the air inside warmed up, it caused the lid to lift up for a moment then close again, as if letting out a bubble of air. Weird.
 
Funny - I have similar case here, plastic bottle with kindling near the fireplace (far enough to be safe) popping now and then; took me several weeks to find out. I have opened it and closed when it was cold, that stopped the noise.
 
I had a strange one lately. Some plastic grapes used for decoration, started to explode! I first heard them, then the dogs ran to the dining room and started barking .. POP BANG, plastic grape shrapnel bouncing off everything in its way.

The only thing I could think of, was that I had washed them, dusty from attic storage, in hot water and dish soap.
 
hypatia said:
I had a strange one lately. Some plastic grapes used for decoration, started to explode! I first heard them, then the dogs ran to the dining room and started barking .. POP BANG, plastic grape shrapnel bouncing off everything in its way.

The only thing I could think of, was that I had washed them, dusty from attic storage, in hot water and dish soap.
How long an interval from washing to exploding?

Were they hard plastic or those soft, squishy ones?
 
DaveC426913 said:
How long an interval from washing to exploding?

Were they hard plastic or those soft, squishy ones?

About 4 hours, and they were the soft squishy ones.
 
The plastic grapes one sounds dangerous :eek:

I'm quite familiar with the expanding air in a container one; after washing the dishes some glasses would be placed upside-down on the counter to allow the liquid inside to trickle down to the bottom prior to getting dried. Due to the seal formed by the liquid surrounding the top of the glass the pressure inside would build up first (warm glass, cold air inside) and then release whilst making funky noises :smile:

Sometimes one hears noises one can't really place, though. I always hate it when I hear something like that when I'm about to go to bed late at night and I'm all alone in my bedroom. Brings the little girl who is frightened of monsters under her bed straight back out :-p
 
I have heard noises today - I guess (but am not sure) that I have mice in the wall :bugeye:
 
Try letting some http://www.mastergardeners.org/publications/wisteria/wisteriaSeedPods.html" lay around for a while. That's what I did before I learned that when they dry, they pop open throwing their seeds everywhere. Scared the crap out of me.
http://www.mastergardeners.org/images/import/publications/wisteria/wisteria_seed_pods_files/poppedPods_lg.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
dlgoff said:
Try letting some http://www.mastergardeners.org/publications/wisteria/wisteriaSeedPods.html" lay around for a while. That's what I did before I learned that when they dry, they pop open throwing their seeds everywhere. Scared the crap out of me.
http://www.mastergardeners.org/images/import/publications/wisteria/wisteria_seed_pods_files/poppedPods_lg.jpg
[/URL]

They also tast bad... Go Childhood!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
My son was complaining about a loud beep several times throughout the night for a couple of nights that he found a bit freaky, and we were looking for the source everywhere. His sister finally admitted to having hidden a stop-watch in his pillow-slip.
 
I was trying to find a beeping clock for many months, finally battery went dead. Obviously battery was too weak and alarm was going on at unpredictable moments, for several seconds. Mystery2.
 
Borek said:
I have heard noises today - I guess (but am not sure) that I have mice in the wall :bugeye:


Lets hope they don't explode
 
hypatia said:
Lets hope they don't explode

Mice only explode if you put them in the microwave oven for too long.:cool:
 
The mysterious noises I hate are the ones in the car. Since my car is a piece of junk I always become suddenly paranoid that there is something wrong with it. Usually a few minutes later I find that it was just a cup rattling in the cup holder or some such thing.
 
Or worse, when my husband asks what kind of noise the car is making, and I say "zinnnnching". And somehow he knows exactly, what is wrong.
 
TheStatutoryApe said:
The mysterious noises I hate are the ones in the car. Since my car is a piece of junk I always become suddenly paranoid that there is something wrong with it. Usually a few minutes later I find that it was just a cup rattling in the cup holder or some such thing.

I also hate it when the car starts making strange noises but I have found a cure...drop the wife off somewhere or turn the radio up.:approve:
 
hypatia said:
Or worse, when my husband asks what kind of noise the car is making, and I say "zinnnnching". And somehow he knows exactly, what is wrong.

I would say that you should feel complimented in your ability to imitate a car noise closely enough for another person to know what your talking about. Auto-mechanics must love you.