Looking for summer research opportunities

In summary, the speaker is a Polish student in their last year of undergrad studying Physics, seeking a summer internship in Nanophysics. They have experience with AFM, STM, and nanoindenter. They are asking for help or advice on finding opportunities for research, particularly for non-US citizens. Another speaker suggests checking out the GSI Summer Student Program in Darmstadt, Germany, and the CERN Summer Student Programme in Switzerland, which offers a place to stay and an allowance for non-US citizens.
Devon1989
I'm Polish student of the last year undergrad Physics, looking for summer internship. I'm interested in Nanophysics, have some experience with AFM, STM, nanoindenter.

There are lots of opportunities to do some research in the summer, but mostly for US citizens. I would be grateful for any help or advice.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey! Check out the GSI Summer Student Program in Darmstadt, Germany. There are opportunities to do research in Nanophysics. Good luck!

Check out CERN's Summer Student Programme https://ert.cern.ch/browse_www/wd_pds?p_web_site_id=1&p_web_page_id=5836&p_no_apply=Y&p_show=N Poland is a member state, which makes it more likey you'll get accepted. I know their primary branch of interest is particle physics, detectors, etc., but there's also other research going on. Anyway, check their website, maybe you find something of your interest. By the way, they offer you a place to stay and an allowance, which is handy since Swiss is rather expensive (for us Eastern Europeans :) ).

1. What are the benefits of participating in summer research opportunities?

Summer research opportunities provide a unique hands-on learning experience that allows students to gain practical skills and knowledge in their field of interest. It also allows students to work closely with experienced researchers and mentors, build professional connections, and enhance their resume for future career or graduate school opportunities.

2. How do I find summer research opportunities?

There are various ways to find summer research opportunities, including checking your university's research or career services website, attending job fairs or conferences, networking with professors or graduate students, and searching online databases such as National Science Foundation's Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) program.

3. What are the eligibility criteria for summer research opportunities?

The eligibility criteria may vary depending on the specific program or institution. Generally, students should have a strong academic record, relevant coursework, and a strong interest in the research topic. Some programs may also require certain skills or experience, such as laboratory experience or programming skills.

4. Do summer research opportunities provide funding for students?

Many summer research opportunities offer funding for students, including stipends, housing, and travel expenses. However, the amount and availability of funding may vary depending on the program and institution. It is important to research and inquire about funding opportunities when applying for summer research programs.

5. Can I participate in more than one summer research opportunity?

Yes, it is possible to participate in multiple summer research opportunities. However, it is important to consider the time commitment and scheduling conflicts before applying to multiple programs. It is also important to communicate with the program coordinators and ensure that participating in multiple programs is allowed by the institution.