Low-energy ions near grounded metal or insulator surfaces

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter mr.smith
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Ion
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
mr.smith
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
How would react ion of some gas (low energy anion or cation) in vicinity of a grounded metal surface or in vicinity of an insulator?

I guess a free electron and cation would automaticly recombine. But I don't know the probability nor mechanisms (just tunneling?) for the same thing happening with a cation and a grounded electrode. When it ends up like an electrolysis (the atom will stuck on the electrode) and is there a way to prevent that?

Anions are another thing. I guess that voltage slope around the electrode (induced by anion itself) wouldn't be sufficient to 'pluck' the electron away from the anion.

Sorry for dumb questions.
 
Physics news on Phys.org