Making an Invisible Fishing Hook: Attractive to Fishermen?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Stephen Bartlin
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Invisible
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
Stephen Bartlin
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I would like to know if it is possible to make a hook that would be transparent. I think this would be attractive to fishermen.
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
Well, can you find a workable (mechanically) material that has the tensile strength of steel? I have caught thrashing, flailing salmon several pounds in weight on size 20 and smaller hooks that are so tiny they are hard to attach to a leader. That's pretty impressive strength for such a tiny object.
 
I'm sure that something marginally workable could be developed, but I really don't see a reason for it. Fish don't have incredibly keen eyesight to start with. It's far simpler to just continue imbedding the hooks in bait or lures. It's worked pretty well for a few thousand years.