1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mandl Quantum Mechanics, thoughts?

1. Jun 7, 2012 #1
    I just finished undergraduate E&M, the class was using the Young and Freedman University Physics, but I decided to go with the Grant and Phillips Electromagnetism and it worked pretty well.

At UIUC Physics III or modern physics is broken into two parts, thermal and quantum. For the quantum class I am looking for a book.

I was thinking about using F. Mandl's Quantum Mechanics which is also part of the Manchester Physics Series that published the Grant and Phillips.

I haven't seen any reviews beyond two positive looks on amazon. Has anybody used this book? I understand that Mandl has a more well known QFT book, which I'm not looking at.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2012 #2
    If you know Classical Mechanics (Lagrangian and Hamiltonian formalisms), you should consider studying Shankar's Principles of Quantum Mechanics. I've never seen a better introduction into QM: you start learning diracs bras and kets from Chapter 1 as well as the postulates of QM. If you want to understand QM get this book!

4. Jun 8, 2012 #3
    Shankar is a great book at the introductory level. I also used Liboff, 1st edition, and found it very useful, the notation is modern and the development is good. That book is in the 4th edition now and I know nothing about how it has changed. If you can find an old edition cheap it is worth the money.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook