Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Marvel Universe Vibranium Question

1. Aug 13, 2016 #1
    Comic book physics question: Vibranium (a metal which exists only in the Marvel Universe) possesses "the ability to absorb all vibrations in the vicinity as well as kinetic energy directed at it. The energy absorbed is stored within the bonds between the molecules that make up the substance. As a result, the more energy vibranium absorbs the tougher it becomes."

If I were to forge a hammer from vibranium and subsequently strike myself in the head with it with all the strength I could muster, would I feel a thing? Or would the entire impact be absorbed? If so, Black Panther has been missing out on some pretty entertaining party tricks.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2016 #2
    Cap routinely throw the Frisbee, I mean shield, at people and things causing damage.

4. Aug 13, 2016 #3

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Knowing comic books, it will probably kill you, despite being a contradiction to how vibranium is described as working. Not that its description makes any sense of course...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted