1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Name on Math degree, what is better: Applied or general?

1. Dec 13, 2014 #1
    So I want to go into applied mathematics, I can either get a general math degree or an "applied and computational" degree. Does the degree title make a difference?

The general math degree I can graduate a term sooner with, the main differences in the courses is that for the applied and computational degree I take a numerical analysis sequence and don't get credit for some of the theoretical courses I took .

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2014 #2
    Do the general one, you can always do research in applied math with a pure math degree.

4. Dec 13, 2014 #3
    Course wise I am still going to be exiting with two terms of abstract algebra, 2 terms of advanced calculus and a years worth of real analysis so in terms of theory I won't be short on it. It's more an issue of degree title, which has more value?

5. Dec 13, 2014 #4
    Depends. If you want to do grad school in Math probably the Math degree. If you want to get a job probably applied math. Either way, as long as you have the coursework and good GREs you'll probably be fine for grad school.

6. Dec 14, 2014 #5
    Is that a two year course? Can you take the numerical sequence after its conclusion? That would be my preference.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook