Name on Math degree, what is better: Applied or general?

• Programs
  • Thread starter Mathmaybe
  • Start date
So I want to go into applied mathematics, I can either get a general math degree or an "applied and computational" degree. Does the degree title make a difference?

The general math degree I can graduate a term sooner with, the main differences in the courses is that for the applied and computational degree I take a numerical analysis sequence and don't get credit for some of the theoretical courses I took .

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

Do the general one, you can always do research in applied math with a pure math degree.

Course wise I am still going to be exiting with two terms of abstract algebra, 2 terms of advanced calculus and a years worth of real analysis so in terms of theory I won't be short on it. It's more an issue of degree title, which has more value?

Depends. If you want to do grad school in Math probably the Math degree. If you want to get a job probably applied math. Either way, as long as you have the coursework and good GREs you'll probably be fine for grad school.

Is that a two year course? Can you take the numerical sequence after its conclusion? That would be my preference.