PF PHOTO CONTEST - Made of stone (sept 12-19)

In summary, the photo contest is for digital photos of manmade objects made of stone. You are allowed to resize and crop your photo but you are not allowed to do any other form of editing. You are allowed to use a picture only once. The contest ends at the end of the week and the winner is determined by a poll.
matthyaouw
Gold Member
Made of stone

Show me something manmade that is made of stone. I couldn't come up with a catchier name. Sorry, I'm tired.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, here goes nothing . . .

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/6505/cimg0017c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
bump.

Any more?

henryfordhomenatsteppingstones.jpg

marzena_made_of_stone.jpg

Victoria College @ The University of Toronto

2r6gxs6.jpg

http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/4293/brooklynbridgez.jpg​
[/URL]

Brooklyn Bridge.Yes, it is made out of stone...

Integral said:
IM000365.jpg

This is called the Devils Slide, along I80 in Utah

Cool! What's the purpose of that thing, Integral?

GeorginaS said:
Cool! What's the purpose of that thing, Integral?

No purpose, just natural.

This site is a tilted remnant of sediments deposited in a sea that occupied Utah’s distant geologic past. Approximately 170 to 180 million years ago, a shallow sea originating from the north spread south and east over areas of what are now Montana, Wyoming, and Utah. This sea extended as far east as the present-day Colorado River and south into northern Arizona.
Over millions of years, massive amounts of sediment accumulated and eventually formed layers of limestone and sandstone. In northern Utah, these rocks are known as the Twin Creek Formation and are approximately 2700 feet thick. About 75 million years ago, folding and faulting during a mountain- building episode tilted the Twin Creek rock layers to a near-vertical position. Subsequent erosion has exposed the near-vertical rock layers and created Devils Slide.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...qyWCA&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=7&ct=image"

Wow! These are some really beautiful photos.

Equate said:
No purpose, just natural.

Oh, I see. I assumed it had a purpose because the photo topic is "manmade that's made of stone". It's a very cool shot, Equate.I agree with you, jgens, there are some terrific photographers here.

Opps I some how spaced the "manmade" :redface: I'll pull it off.

Ack! Sorry, Integral. I didn't realize that Equate answered when it was your photo. It's a very nice shot.

HPIM1798.jpg

2nd try, this one is on tipic.

This is Trinity College in Dublin.

marcin_made_of_stone2.jpg

urghhhhhhhhhhh Borek! :grumpy: you beat me, I was about to post a pic of a jewelry made of gemstones yesterday [I was just lazy to look for the camera]

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/6058/p1000134pk.jpg

...well..partly..made of stones :biggrin:, are you going to accept this matthyaouw :uhh:?

sure

DSC00550.jpg

Greetings to all PFers from the midgets trapped in stone.

This is beverley minster. Biggest stone builing round these parts and a great place to spend a couple of hours

stone-1.jpg

Burg Hohenzollern once more

js0unk.jpg

Andre said:
Burg Hohenzollern once more

js0unk.jpg

So jealous... Were you there in the fall too?

I want to live there... Big big dreams though eh? lol

Kronos5253 said:
So jealous... Were you there in the fall too?

I want to live there... Big big dreams though eh? lol

Used to live there in that area, for a few years. So I have dozens of variations of that scenery.

1. What is the theme of the PF PHOTO CONTEST - Made of stone (sept 12-19)?

The theme of this photo contest is "Made of stone". Participants are encouraged to submit photos that showcase objects, buildings, or landscapes that are primarily made of stone.

2. Can I submit more than one photo for the PF PHOTO CONTEST - Made of stone (sept 12-19)?

Yes, each participant is allowed to submit up to three photos for this contest.

3. Who can participate in the PF PHOTO CONTEST - Made of stone (sept 12-19)?

This photo contest is open to everyone, regardless of their age, location, or profession. It is a global contest and welcomes submissions from all over the world.

4. How will the winner of the PF PHOTO CONTEST - Made of stone (sept 12-19) be chosen?

The winner will be chosen by a panel of judges based on the creativity, originality, and technical quality of the submitted photos. The judges' decision will be final.

5. What is the prize for the winner of the PF PHOTO CONTEST - Made of stone (sept 12-19)?

The winner will receive a cash prize of $500 and their winning photo will be featured on the PF PHOTO CONTEST website and social media pages. They will also receive a certificate of recognition for their achievement.