Photo Contest - In The Movies (9/19-9/25)

  • Thread starter Thread starter ZapperZ
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    photo contest
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11 replies · 2K views
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Messages
32,819
Reaction score
4,724
In The Movies

This week, the subject of your photo must be something that has appeared in at least one movie. This subject may be a person, a specific object, or a location.

For this contest, please include the name of the movie that the subject appeared in, especially if it is an obscure subject and/or from an obscure movie.

Zz.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 800 x 600 or 600 x 800 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. The photo of the subject must be something that you took directly, not via in intermediary medium, and not taken by someone else. Unless otherwise noted, a photo of another photo, painting, print, etc. does not qualify.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread. Photos not meant for submission must not be posted in the contest thread. Posting of more than one photos by a member may result in an automatic disqualification from the week's contest.

Zz.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Golden Gate Bridge. It has appeared in many movies, including Star Trek's The Voyage Home and Undiscovered Country.

IMG_2377_zps837hxc3h.jpg


Zz.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DennisN
To keep with the bridges then... Charles Bridge, Prague, Mission Impossible (and numerous other films, although I can't remember any out of my head).

marcin_charles_bridge.jpg
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DennisN
I've been thinking about this topic for a couple of days, but I could not come to think of any photos I have/can take of things that have been in movies, but about twenty minutes ago I realized that I could take a picture of...

21496711870_2df351a2df_o.jpg


...La Luna, which has been in countless of movies, e.g. Apollo 13, The Right Stuff etc etc etc. But it was definitely not in this movie.
 
epenguin said:
jhc8c3.jpg
While she has appeared in the movies, has this particular statue appeared in any?

Zz.
 
epenguin said:
Could it have been 'The Misfits'? o0)

I don't know. You are supposed to include the relevant movie that is in your photo.

Zz.
 
Ah, now I see you said
ZapperZ said:
For this contest, please include the name of the movie that the subject appeared in, especially if it is an obscure subject and/or from an obscure movie.

Well it must have appeared in an obscure movie, this is Haugesund. You can't say that's not obscure. They even have an international festival of obscure movies there! Won't this do?
 
Last edited:
epenguin said:
Ah, now I see you said

Well it must have appeared in an obscure movie, this is Haugesund. You can't say that's not obscure. They even have an international festival of obscure movies there! Won't this do?

I'm not sure if I'm not communicating this clearly, but it is not about something being obscure. It has everything to do with you identifying the movie that the subject of your photo appeared in. I asked you if the sculpture appeared in any movie, and you instead asked me.

Since this is already past the deadline, and I still don't see a clear identification of the movie that sculpture appeared in, your photo is disqualified.

Zz.