Polarisation rotation in Rb vapour cell due to laser light with sweeping frequency

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Trying_hard
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
2 replies · 3K views
Trying_hard
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I have an external cavity diode laser source tuned to frequency 384.229 Terahertz. I am applying a ramp voltage of 1volt (peak-to-peak) to piezo so that the frequency sweeps and different hyperfine transitions of rubidium are tuned. Now I have linearly polarised this laser light and passed it through a Rubidium Cell. An analyser is placed in cross position and the output is detected though a photodiode. I am observing a nonlinear increase in intensity of the output when the ramp amplitude is increased. Please explain the phenomenon
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I believe the Rubidium cell might be very sensitive to magnetic fields.