Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Predict! The Day of Judgment (by real observation) is at hand!-Smolin

1. Apr 26, 2014 #1

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Predict! The Day of Judgment (by real observation) is at hand!--Smolin

Lee Smolin gave a really interesting talk at this past week's conference on Quantum Gravity at Perimeter.
    He was assigned a 35 minute time-slot by the organizers, and asked to challenge the audience of QG researchers, which he did. The talk was very much geared to current astrophysical observation and reports to be expected over the next year and a half. The viewpoint was in part provocative and the focus was on prospects of observable quantum gravity effects.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2014 #2

MTd2

Gold Member

And what is the relation to The Day of Judgment?

4. Apr 26, 2014 #3

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

In the US one used to see street corner preachers with signs saying
    REPENT
    THE DAY OF JUDGMENT IS AT HAND
    I've seen a few in my day. They were common enough that magazines like The New Yorker would have cartoon drawings involving these prophets.
    You live in Brazil, maybe the practice never caught on there.

Anyway the the message is always GET READY! I liked Smolin's talk and it had a kind of similar theme. Make your theories and get predictions from them in a hurry, folks, because a bunch of significant data is coming in!

5. Apr 26, 2014 #4

MTd2

Gold Member

6. Apr 27, 2014 #5

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Yes that's it. See how you like the first 35 minutes or so.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook