Quantisation of conductance in gold nanowires

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Baggio
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Conductance
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 4K views
Baggio
Messages
211
Reaction score
1
HI, I'm carrying out an experiment involving 2 "nanowires" of gold to investigate the quantisation of conductance. Does anyone know of any websites/papers the delve into the fundamentals?. Most papers I have read just go on about STM techniques

Thanks

The One
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Are your wires made by gating 2DEGs or are they grown as wires ? And are you measuring a scattering effect (inter-wire drag) or something else ?

Can you describe in more detail what your experiment involves ?
 
You can do it by bouncing gold wires against each other (Costa-Krämer).
Or you can use the gold contacts in electrical relays:
http://prola.aps.org/abstract/PRB/v56/i4/p2208_1
 
Hi,

Basically this is my experiment

http://www.warwick.ac.uk/~phucbt/Quantum%20Conduction%20step-by-step.pdf

Trouble is I've just realized there is so much theory behind this.. I just don't know how in much depth I need to go.

What are the important theories behind such an experiment? Where does one begin?

Thanks
 
Last edited by a moderator: