Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question concerning the monolith in Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey

1. Oct 5, 2009 #1
    Question concerning the monolith in Kubrick's "2001: A Space Odyssey"

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hello everyone.
    I'm doing a work in which I'm explaining physical relations and coherences in Stanley Kubrick's film "2001: A space Odyssey". So far everything is doing well, but there's one problem: Can anyone please give me a possible explanation how it is possible that Dr. Floyd and his colleagues hear a painful, sharp sound when they find the monolith TMA-I on the moon.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I guess it's got something to do with either electro magnetism or positive feedback. But I can't think any further. Thanks already now for helping me!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2009 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Re: Question concerning the monolith in Kubrick's "2001: A Space Odyssey"

IIRC monolith sent a beam of radio waves in the direction of Jupiter, that's why mission was sent there later.

Other than that you can make as wild guesses as you want, including little green men.

I am sorry Dave, we can't help you any further.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook