1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Repeating a year: What should I do?

1. Nov 9, 2008 #1
    Firstly, some background: I was going to clear my A level papers in a few days' time, but I ended up in ICU after a major operation (sepsis secondary to perforated stomach ulcer) past the duration for which I could take my papers in the hospital. As a result, I'll have to repeat my senior year in high school...

Problem is, what would you do in my position? I'm quite thoroughly prepared, which means that there's nothing exactly for me to spend my time on for the year.

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2008 #2
    If you are a good student who practically finished his senior year, it is absolutely absurd for them to not allow you extensions on your papers. After all, you are experiencing the epitome of extenuating circumstances. I would speak to the president, principle, dean or whatever you have at your school in your to negotiate conditions to graduate. I missed probably 40 days of school my junior year, and they still permitted me pass to my senior year.

4. Nov 9, 2008 #3
    If you absolutely must repeat your senior year, why not take on a senior project to pass the time?

5. Nov 9, 2008 #4
    If that doesn't work, I know theres a growing number of schools that are allowing students without a high school degree (I believe caltech might accept juniors in high school?) You might want to look into that as well.

6. Nov 9, 2008 #5

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Since the OP refers to "A levels" he's probably in the UK.

7. Nov 9, 2008 #6
    zoner7/jtbell: Yes, jtbell explains it pretty nicely there; the examinations are standardised across the parts of the world which practise this education system, so it's different from the US. In short, no exceptions could be made. I've tried asking, too.

axeae: OK.

will.c: Yes, I've ensured that. But I do believe I still have some extra time - does anyone know if it is possible to go for the Olympiads ad infinitum so long as I'm in high school?

8. Nov 10, 2008 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's horrible that they don't have any mechanism for you to do some sort of make-up exam and it's only offered once a year, especially when you've actually completed all of your schooling except for the exam.

If you just need to put in minimal time and effort to retain your knowledge for the next set of exams (be careful not to slack off too much...I'm sure it will be tempting as you get bored with your classes), perhaps you could use some of your spare time for getting involved in some community service projects.

9. Nov 12, 2008 #8
    Yeah =(

To be honest, I'm not good with community service, nor really interested. It's not that I don't see it as a good cause but that I'm looking for something more intellectually (or perhaps academically) stimulating.

10. Nov 12, 2008 #9

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Why don't you just take your exams in January, then you don't have to repeat the whole year. Although, you may have left it too late to register for them, now.

11. Nov 12, 2008 #10
    cristo: As again, I reiterate that it's not possible. In my country, the assessment of the experimental criteria for science subjects have to be done over the course of the year with a school (I could be a private candidate for OTHER subjects, but they are "inferior subjects"/"for the less competent" so to speak, crudely), and the only standardised tests take place in November.

12. Nov 12, 2008 #11

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In November? That's a bit weird. I'm from the UK (I now guess you're not), and we have the main examination period in May/June, but also have the January exam period (for those who either need to resit, or who miss the summer exam period).

13. Nov 12, 2008 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

ephedyn, it might help if you shared what country you're actually in. Like cristo and others, I was assuming you were in the UK when you were talking about A-levels. It's hard to give helpful advice when we don't even know what country you're in to know what opportunities and options are more likely available for you. We have people coming to this site from all over the world, so if you share which part of it you're in, someone from the same country as you might see it and respond with better advice than we can offer from such a distance.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?